Question What Speed/Type of Memory to Get for 5800X with X570/B550?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Crag_Hack

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2015
Hi the title says it all, what speed and type of memory should I get? Here says:

"For Ryzen 5000 CPUs, it has been suggested that 4,000MHz kits are your best bet. "

However that very same article touts the G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600MHz as the best RAM for gaming with an AMD motherboard. And here touts the same as best high-speed 32GB Kit for manual tuning.

What speed is best for gaming and a little production (program compilation)?

I'm leaning towards a Gigabyte Aorus Ultra X570 which says it only supports 3200 MHz without overclocking. Is there an AMD equivalent to Intel's XMP for faster memory that is relatively stable?

And is Trident Z Neo one of the best options for AMD? Is it the best memory G Skill makes?

Thanks!

Crag_Hack

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2015
I talked to a tech today who had an idea to assuage my fears of instability.... he said do 4 or so passes of Passmark memory test or Memtest86+. Just out of curiosity would that reveal any possible condition of instability?

Also I ended up getting some Corsair Vengeance LPX sticks at a local shop. I trust Corsair as a brand. Do you guys consider these sticks high enough quality? Also should they be compatible with a Gigabyte Aorus X570 Ultra? Unfortunately I couldn't find this specific model in the Corsair memory compatibility database.

Crag_Hack

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2015
@Eximo @logainofhades Hi guys I have one last quick question about the memory (I think as well the last for the entire build it's all good now). These memory sticks are single rank according to one of the reviews on Amazon. Will that affect my performance at all? I read a little of this article which says you want two ranks of memory per channel but I am not sure if that means two ranks per module when each module uses one channel, or two ranks per channel when each pair of modules uses one channel.
Thanks guys!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
One channel is two slots for dual channel memory. single rank is fine. You will put in two sticks and have two ranks.

Dual and single rank makes a difference when you do mixed mode. You can get away with a dual rank module and a pair of single ranks on another channel and still get full dual channel mode with say, 1x8GB and 2x4GB (motherboard dependent)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Two ranks per channel

Typical layout, order of installation.
Channel B: Slot B1 - 4
Channel A: Slot A1 - 1
Channel B: Slot B2 - 3
Channel A: Slot A2 - 2

Single rank in both channel A slots is two ranks per channel.

"It doesn’t matter whether those two ranks come from two single-rank DIMMs or one dual-rank DIMM, the performance improvement is the same. "

This doesn't come up often, but you can get dual rank on a single module and still have dual channel operation. Useful for systems that only have two slots with future expansion in mind. but hardly ever seen in practice. You have to seek out those sticks.

The four rank configurations they are talking about involve 4 memory sticks. 4x8GB kits. They are making the claim that in some games, this makes a significant different.

These days that would mean staying with 32GB forever, or going out and getting 4x16GB for 64GB.

Downsides would be higher power consumption and more difficulty in achieving high XMP profiles or overclocking stability.

I should add that their test suite has two CPU intensive tasks/games so that skewed things a little. Games that rely more on GPU performance will see less benefit.

TRENDING THREADS