[SOLVED] What SSD should I get for Windows XP?

Mysteryman2000

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2012
I have been researching and reading about this for close to 2 weeks now and still haven't made up my mind. I got received just recently an older pc, a HP Pavilion a1010n, in which wasn't working. With a little luck (mainly because of my tech hoarding) I was able to get it running again. I'd tell the tale of smoke and sparks, but right now as it stands the PC specs are:

HDD: 40 GB IDE
CPU: Pentium 4 3.4GHZ
GPU: Gigabyte HD 4650 AGP (Had one lying around)
PSU: CX 450M

Now I want to change the IDE drive to a SATA SSD, and I know there are problem with XP and TRIM commands not being existent or supported. But I have also heard of the Intel Tools and tools for other companies being used to keep the drives in good health that basically auto run trim. Then I heard rumors about some SSD having TRIM support built into itself. I am not a storage expert and I'd rather ask for help from people who might have more insight into the newer SSD capabilities than me. Anyone have any idea or information that can lead me to choosing a good SSD? I know there will be performance loss because the system has 2 SATA connections and most SSD drives now are SATAIII, but in case I want to go retro with my gaming on certain occasions and there are some games that don't support newer OS because somehow Windows 10 is not newer than Windows XP 32-bit. I don't want to have to worry about having to running TRIM myself or need another program to do so if there are SSD that do it already with internal firmware, or using the software if the firmware option is not actually a thing. I am not exactly worried about price but it does need to be sata, and it doesn't need to extremely large in capacity either. SO preferences for the drive from 1 to 3, 1 being preferred:

1.) Self maintaining SSD
2.) SSD maintained by software.
3.) Manually maintained SSD.

Solution
Modern SSD's have built in Garbage collection which acts much like trim. Aside from a few old SSD's that had manufacturer supplied software to run trim on an SSD there was no other way and I don't know of any manufacturer that still supports a trim tool for xp. Intel was definitely one of them on their xm25 ssd.

popatim

Titan
Modern SSD's have built in Garbage collection which acts much like trim. Aside from a few old SSD's that had manufacturer supplied software to run trim on an SSD there was no other way and I don't know of any manufacturer that still supports a trim tool for xp. Intel was definitely one of them on their xm25 ssd.

Solution

Mysteryman2000

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2012
With a Pentium 4 level system, will you really notice an SSD?

Additionally, does this system have a SATA interface? Or only IDE?
Yes, it has a sata interface, this system is currently running IDE, and it takes up too much room with ribbon cables. Any improved performance is an upgrade. This is going to be a nostalgia machine, but if it is going to for that might as well make it as best it can be with what I have on hand or what I can get my hands on.