[SOLVED] What storage configuration should I use?

ScreperisLT

Reputable
Feb 12, 2020
Hello, I am thinking about buying a new SSD, because my current one is faulty ( occassionally gives BSOD ) and is just too low of a capacity. I also want to store all of my games on an SSD, because using my HDD disk just makes the games load painfully slow. I was thinking about buying a Samsung 980 Pro 1TB and using my hdd and that old ssd on another slower pc that I have, but I have heard, that you should not save games on a Boot Drive, because the operating system can slow them down or something like that. What are your suggestions?

My current rig :

MB : ASUS Prime B450M-A ( I know it uses PCI-e 3.0, but I will upgrade once the Ryzen 7000 releases )
CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
GPU : RTX 3070 8GB
RAM : 16GB 3000Mhz 2x8gb
SSD : ADATA SX8200PNP
HDD : TOSHIBA HDWD110
PSU : Corsair RM850X

Solution
I was thinking about buying a Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
this would depend on how much space your games actually take up and how often you add new games to the drive.
with many AAA games reaching near ~100GB these days, and average being closer to 50GB, i would consider a 1TB drive pretty small.

if you regularly uninstall/delete games when you're done playing them then you're probably good but if you like to keep them around for long periods of time i would say 2TB is the smallest i would consider.
I have heard, that you should not save games on a Boot Drive
i keep my games installed on a separate drive for a few reasons;

if your OS gets corrupted or you want to upgrade or reinstall you do not need to download/install all of those terabytes of game data again,
to allow games to access the disk's full potential speed without background processes and other applications taking away from that,
to keep a more organized game directory, etc...

you can see the layout of my storage array in my signature.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Os slowing down games being on same drive is absolute nonsense.

Keep mechanical drive if you need it for anything else not sensitive to load times, streaming assets (open world games) and games that utilise the pagefile somewhat which is most games. In saying that, Samsung ssd all the way, for everything really. 1TB now, maybe 2TB. Add another later.

Donate the hdd to the other system if it needs space, don't give it a faulty ssd you say is causing bsods.

Reactions: Hellfire13
I was thinking about buying a Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
this would depend on how much space your games actually take up and how often you add new games to the drive.
with many AAA games reaching near ~100GB these days, and average being closer to 50GB, i would consider a 1TB drive pretty small.

if you regularly uninstall/delete games when you're done playing them then you're probably good but if you like to keep them around for long periods of time i would say 2TB is the smallest i would consider.

Reactions: boju
Solution
Hello, I am thinking about buying a new SSD, because my current one is faulty ( occassionally gives BSOD ) and is just too low of a capacity. I also want to store all of my games on an SSD, because using my HDD disk just makes the games load painfully slow. I was thinking about buying a Samsung 980 Pro 1TB and using my hdd and that old ssd on another slower pc that I have, but I have heard, that you should not save games on a Boot Drive, because the operating system can slow them down or something like that. What are your suggestions?

My current rig :

MB : ASUS Prime B450M-A ( I know it uses PCI-e 3.0, but I will upgrade once the Ryzen 7000 releases )
CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
GPU : RTX 3070 8GB
RAM : 16GB 3000Mhz 2x8gb
SSD : ADATA SX8200PNP
HDD : TOSHIBA HDWD110
PSU : Corsair RM850X
250/500GB ssd for the OS and apps.
1TB ssd or larger for the games.