What Swine Flu? Computex Still a Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

chjade84

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
300 some cases WORLDWIDE so far. What are the odds that you will bump into one in a show of 270,000 attendees?

There's about a 1 in 83 chance that someone with H1N1 will be at that show...

chjade84

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
^ LOL, me too. I find it funny now though because the CDC has reversed it's decision about it's severity saying it's "no more deadly than the regular flu". (that's kind of a paraphrase because I don't remember it exactly).

I was pissed about hearing it when everyone was panicked but I like to hear about it now because it makes all of those same people look like idiots! :)

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
"Sigh" Listen, the reason they're making this a big deal is because it is a new strain of Virus that could kill us, and cause a mass pandemic if it mutated the correct way, it mutates every day, so this could happen. Our bodies don't know what this is, if it does become stronger and more serious it could cause a lot of death. This is why its a big deal.

Yes, a lot of people die from cars, from the Spanish flu, etc. But we have ways to ward those off, drive more carefully and take your flu shot.

We have to keep aware of this virus, because in 2 months from now you might hear "Swine flu infects 2 million, and rising exponentially. 633,000 deaths so far" and the difference between this, and other sicknesses is that its going to kill 10 million + within 1-2 months. ITs going to shut down schools, work places, etc. Its going to hurt the economy, take a chunk of the population out, which means a LOT of jobs will lose people to work.

It is dangerous, it will cause damage if it mutates correctly, and is left ignored.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
[citation][nom]OhNoestheFlu[/nom]LOL! I'm so tired of hearing about the swine flu when millions die from malaria every year. I saw a funny comic about this the other day : http://www.sentient-puddle.com/index.php?comic=63 Kinda goes right along with what "randomizer" was saying.[/citation]

This folks is when you logic hits a wall far to early.

Again, We do not have a natural immunity to Swine Flu. We do not have a Vaccine for Swine Flu. We don't understand it completely, if it were to mutate and spread.. it would kill 37,000,000 in 1-2 months.. Spanish flu kills 37,000 in a Year.

We have the right to be concerned, and we should be because this could become a Pandemic and Destroy economies, populations, etc.

Think for 5 seconds people.

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]I wonder if they accounted for the regular flu. You know, the one that way more people die from that isn't over-hyped by fear-mongering TV news readers.[/citation]
Indeed. Indeed....

I hate the news.

Regected

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
[citation][nom]sacre[/nom]This folks is when you logic hits a wall far to early. Again, We do not have a natural immunity to Swine Flu. We do not have a Vaccine for Swine Flu. We don't understand it completely, if it were to mutate and spread.. it would kill 37,000,000 in 1-2 months.. Spanish flu kills 37,000 in a Year.We have the right to be concerned, and we should be because this could become a Pandemic and Destroy economies, populations, etc. Think for 5 seconds people.[/citation]

Swine flu is not new. It has been around for a very long time. In all actuality, it is not much worse than the normal flu virus. All the hype from the media over this is not needed nor warranted for this virus.

Viruses change every day. With the rate of replication, the chances for a random gene anomaly is quite high. Necrotizing fasciitis, better known as the flesh eating bacteria, is a random change to a very common bacteria that lives nearly everywhere. Chances are you have some strain of that virus on you right now. Just because something can change does not mean the media needs to spread fear over the possibility. If anything, the media are the newest terrorists on the block.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]sacre[/nom]We do not have a natural immunity to Swine Flu. We do not have a Vaccine for Swine Flu.[/citation]
As is the case with the "regular" flu every year. Oh you didn't know that's why many people get an annual flu vaccination? It mutates all the time :sarcastic:

themike

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
I'm sick of media massively getting everyone to fear something often because of less than 10 people worldwide. They abuse it so much that the day where there will be something really dangerous, most people wont care.

Status
Not open for further replies.