What The Flix? Netflix 4K Streaming Requires Kaby Lake, Windows 10, Edge Browser

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
"Will as I am planning to sub in a netflix like in the future and after seeing this I 100% remove NetFlix from the list"

You knew ALL browsers on ALL platforms had 720p streaming, except for Edge on Window 10 which until now was the only one which provided 1080p streaming, while now also providing 4K. So ... what's your point exactly?

Johnpombrio

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
I use Microsoft Edge for my Netflix and Amazon streaming from my HTPC as it is the only browser that does 1080P streaming (according to PC magazine). Whatever it is, the streams definitely look better on my TV with Edge vs Chrome or FireFox.

Rheotome

Reputable
Oct 12, 2015
Now I'm really irritated that ASUS has failed to add a Kaby Lake bios update for my Z170-WS mobo !! ASUS are you listening ??

As mentioned above, this doesn't have anything to do with the Netflix App on a 4k TV. I got a pop-up this weekend to upgrade my sub to 4k streaming for an additional $2.00/month(11.99/month total)... most likely because Netflix knows I'm using a 4K TV as part of what the App collects and sends back to Netflix.

celilo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2016
I wonder if it will play in the Ubuntu subsystem on Windows 10? Windows is begining to lose the battle and strong-arm deals like this are easier than building a better product.

UnnDunn

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016
I'm disappointed that a site claiming to be "The Authority on Tech" couldn't actually explain the technical reasons for these requirements, instead of taking potshots at Microsoft.

Put simply, Netflix UHD streaming requires two things: PlayReady 3.0 support and hardware-accelerated 10-bit HEVC decoding support.

PlayReady 3.0 is the DRM standard mandated by the content companies for UHD (4K) streaming. Netflix has to enforce this otherwise the content companies will not make deals with them. Among other things, PlayReady 3.0 requires that its video streams are processed in a protected memory space using strong encryption with hardware-based key management. Most CPUs and GPUs sold in the past few years already do this, but PlayReady 3.0 adds a few new requirements which are only met in Kaby Lake CPUs and NVIDIA 10-series GPUs.

10-bit HEVC decoding (needed for HDR support) is only implemented in Kaby Lake CPUs and NVIDIA 10-series GPUs. Skylake CPUs implement 8-bit HEVC decoding, which is not good enough.

The PlayReady and video acceleration functions are exposed in Windows through the Media Foundation API. Any application can use Media Foundation for video playback and get support for PlayReady and HEVC acceleration (and hence, Netflix UHD 4K support). Unfortunately, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox do not use Media Foundation for HTML5 video playback. They use their own proprietary video players instead. That lets them implement cross-platform stuff, but it shuts them out of the features Media Foundation provides.

Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer properly implement Media Foundation, so they will be able to show the Netflix UHD (4K) streams. So does the Netflix app on Windows 10.

UnnDunn

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016
It should also be noted that every other Netflix UHD-capable device implements PlayReady 3.0 and hardware-accelerated 10-bit HEVC decoding. This includes smart TVs and streaming boxes.

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
pahahahah, yes I'm laughing , pathetic attempt by Microsoft to lock you in, screw that diarrhea show ! just wait max 1year you'll enjoy your 4k on any freaking operating system,

Junaid Balouch

Reputable
Feb 19, 2014
So, Netflix is trying to be the next digital Bestbuy???

for all the expensive luxury suits out there, the moment you start frustrating your consumer, start counting your days.....

celilo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2016
Unndunn, your answer reiterates the problem. Ready play is a proprietary Microsoft technology designed to eliminate competition. The fact that Netflix requires it's use is the reason for such limited device support.

UnnDunn

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016
Celilo, if something like PlayReady didn't exist, content owners would simply refuse to let their content be streamed. And PlayReady has the widest device support in the industry.

Google has its own DRM solution called Widevine. It is only supported on Android and Chrome OS.

Apple has a solution called FairPlay, which is only supported on iOS, tvOS and macOS.

PlayReady is supported on Windows, Android, iOS, tvOS, macOS, Linux, Samsung Tizen, LG webOS and more. It doesn't eliminate competition the way you're implying. The other DRM solutions are more limited.

gunbust3r

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
This is how you do a press release to say you've got 4K, but then not actually have to provide it to anyone and crush your CDN partner with increased bandwidth usage.

old_newbie

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
From a legal perspective, I kinda get the OS and browser requirement in order to avoid Hollywood DRM lawsuit pressure (although I think it is a spineless cave-in decision on the part of Netflix).
However, the CPU requirement is an outright load of BS. You dont need a Kaby Lake CPU to decode H.265. In fact, CPU's are not even the preferred decoder for 4K. There are plenty of GPU's and integrated graphics going back a few years (late 2014) that have dedicated HEVC decoding blocks in them. Hell, even tablet/phone SOCs have H.265 decoders in them. So where's this Kaby Lake requirement really coming from??

Oh and, On the whole zen/kaby only win10 thing, I will probably go Linux.
Dont want to start learning everything from scratch, but...
First it was Microsoft games live, then no DX10 on windows XP, then DX12 only on win10, then microsoft store being separated from multiplayer communities, then zen/Kaby and now edge.

I dont want to find out what their next move is going to be.

MCMunroe

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
It's definitely a DRM / Marketing gambit.
I play and stream 4K 10bit color HEVC to everything down to a low wattage Haswell i3. The requirement to play the Netflix and Amazon 4K through an consumer device instead of a PC is purely DRM.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
On the CPU side, yeah pretty much. There have been some changes to the iGPU, including adding a 10 bit HEVC decoder. Not that that justifies the lack of OS support though.

MCMunroe

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
It's definitely a DRM / Marketing gambit.
I have been playing local 4K 10bit color HEVC files at home on everything down to a low power Haswell i3 with integrated graphics. It's not a hardware issue, it's a DRM issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.