What the PS3 Needs to Compete with Kenect

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

edeawillrule

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
What the Playstation 3 needs is to bring back Playstation 2 backwards compatibility. I know they did it to cut costs originally, but they could just make 2 variations of the console and charge a price premium for the one with backwards compatibility.

G

if i recall all the naysayers were saying that the wii and it's wiimote was stupid and would fail and yet they sold ridiculously well, it was just a crying shame that the software did not deliver on the potential, to dismiss knect outright would be dangerous especially seeing a Microsoft has the money to strong arm software for the knect platform, just look how many people play farmville, that's the kind of market that knect would be aiming for, if the platform gets enough critical mass we actually might see a decent motion sensing title in the works

edeawillrule

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
[citation][nom]edeawillrule[/nom]What the Playstation 3 needs is to bring back Playstation 2 backwards compatibility. I know they did it to cut costs originally, but they could just make 2 variations of the console and charge a price premium for the one with backwards compatibility.[/citation]

I also meant to add that they shouldn't leave the entire Playstation 2 games library behind. There are so many good games that I and so many others just can't let go of, especially after buying them with our hard earned money.

sidran32

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
After taking the time to look up the Kinect in action, all I have to say is that I'm sold. The first-run applications look good and are at least Wii Sports caliber. Give it time in the market and I can see some great things coming.

The level of interaction actually seems like something out of science fiction movies. Voice commands? Virtual interaction? Can you say Jarvis (ala Iron Man)? The only thing they're missing is holographic displays, but this could easily do head tracking (for 3D without the 3DTV and glasses), and if they bring more 3D capabilities to the XBox (utilizing 3DTVs and glasses), the 3D experience is certainly not far away, now.

Impressive.

porksmuggler

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
[citation][nom]gravitybell07[/nom]wow you dont understand what he's saying at all i think your the one who doesn't get it lol[/citation]

lol, what part don't I understand. people misspell. grammar police show up. gnookergi gets angry *rawr* at the grammar police, trolls them to post something relevant, but ironically doesn't post anything relevant to the topic. I feed the troll. maybe someone could read the post to you...slowly.

1pp1k10k4m1

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2008
Why do people keep comparing the 360 price to the PS3? Its not even close to an apple to apples comparison. PS3 has way more processing power, bluetooth, comes with wireless built in, and an industry leading bluray player (or was at my last check).

PS3 = $299

360 = Arcade (when I purchased one) was $199, wireless adapter $99, 20 GB HD $99 (they have come down a bit now). Bluray player...oh, non-existent; and unless they are going to release one and give it away, then its another added expense.

Other than the fact that they compete in the same market, it seems like Tom's is trying to compare two price points that really aren't comparable from a hardware or value standpoint.

"But there is no doubt that a $199 PS3 slim with 3D capabilities would look like an enticing Christmas present." There's no doubt I'd like another one for free either; I'd be willing to wager many would love a free console, but that has not one thing to do with the price of rice in China. Please stop trying to compare two things that were intended to sell at different price points from their inception.

A Cadillac Escalade costs more than a Chevy Cavalier for a reason...actually, many reasons, just like the PS3 and 360. I own and like both, and you're welcome to love or hate whichever fancy's you at the moment, but for pete's sake, at least try to make a fair comparison.

DaFees

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
First of all, Kinect is a gimmick. Simply put. Sure it may offer advancements in user interfacing with voice commands and such but that's it. It makes a nice party show piece but when it comes to actual games it falls short.

If I may use Sony's upcoming PS3 Move and the PS3 as a whole. To start, Kinect has the gimmicky games (think Wii Sports) like Kinect Adventures and such. What they don't have is hardcore games like first person shooters. Face it you can't do FPSes with Kinect. In comes the PS Move which can offer FPSes. For me in this respect I would rather have hardcore games than gimmicky games.

Next point is this. With Kinect I can pretend to drive a car by holding my hands at 10 & 2 while playing Forza motorsports or I can grab a steering wheel and play the GT series. This is a concept I could act upon already. Also what bugs me about Forza is with the inclusion of Kinect support it further makes itself less certain what it is trying to be. I mean we cannot honestly call it a real driving sim like the GT series if are hands are to be the wheel. Also it has no gimmick like NFS, Split/Second, Blur, or go really far Mario Kart or ModNation Racers.

About the only plausibly interesting game that Microsoft unveiled for Kinect was the Dance Central game by Harmonix. However this game is only interesting because it is new, not because it is only Microsoft who can support such a game. I would imagine, in theory, that Sony and the Eye could support such a game if they so chose to do so.

Getting past all of that then Kinect hardly seems justified. I mean I am not going to spend upwards of $300+ just to own Kinect when the only cool features it will offer would be is voice recognition, visual recognition, and apps that use these technologies.

Now as for what Sony should do to compete against Kinect. They really needn't do anything other than offer a killer price. I mean Kinect is novelty that eventually wears off or dies off. The main buyers of Kinect will be young children (I mean 8 to 11), older generations, and those who think owning such a product will elevate them to a level of cool most people dare dream of. However the children eventually grow up and the old eventually pass. The children however will eventually want more. If Sony offers the right price they will give the children more. Sony and the PS3 already offer the most versatile platform. I needn't mention all of it's capabilities. Add on to that 3D and the Move it's an instant seller. The children and older adults can share in the joys of the Move, while the regular adults and teens can enjoy the wealth of media possibilities (Blu-Ray, etc.) and core gaming experiences like FPSes and console exclusives.

Can Sony offer up something with a bigger "Wow" factor than Kinect? No, especially if Microsoft is paying millions for Cirque De Soleil to help advertise. What Sony can do is offer a hugely convincing price point. With the economy in a downturn with no instant and/or significant recovery in the next few months, offering a PS3 with the PS Move at a price significantly lower than a 360 + Kinect could say a lot to parents looking to buy a new console for their child. Even better is if these parents can garner a little intelligence and realize the true potentials of the PS3.

I know Sony's big move (pun intended) is that the PS3 can do everything. If they can briefly but clearly show to everyone this point, along with the new PS Move and 3D, Sony has a strong chance at winning.

Oh and to wrap up this TL:DR, to those complaining about PS2 BC support for PS3s. Get over it. If you wanted it that bad then you would have bought a launch console or one of the one's that had it. If you are coming to us now 3 years after the console has launched asking for such a thing I don't think you truly need it. I know of no one that has a bunch of PS2 games lying around without a PS2 console begging for a PS3 with PS2 BC support. Sony only chose to include the feature in at launch because it knew loyal fans would have such a large library of games that they would want to continue to enjoy. Sony figures by now, if you haven't bought a PS3, then you already own a PS2 and that a PS3 with PS2 BC really wouldn't be necessary. Sure it may be nice, but Sony won't go through the efforts include such a feature, especially if it costs more, when really what's the benefit you get to drop one of their consoles and maybe get a small graphical upgrade (thanks to upscaling).

All in all, Sony is poise to be the big hit (unless Nintendo finally decides to offer a console that is as good as the PS3... like that'll happen, haha) but only if the price is right!

Oh and I already expect thumbs down for the TL:DRedness of this comment.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
You also dont consider the fact that Kinect supports 4 players/users at a time. Sony's new WiiMote, called Move, will cost 79-100 for each player. Do the math for a bunch of guys wanting to fuck around and have a laugh how much will cost them to not be standing in line to take turns... Yeah thats right. Natal, I mean Kinect ( i so much preferred Natal :S )is actually a way cheaper solution.

Unless of course you are a lone gamer!

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
You also dont consider the fact that Kinect supports 4 players/users at a time. Sony's new WiiMote, called Move, will cost 79-100 for each player. Do the math for a bunch of guys wanting to fuck around and have a laugh how much will cost them to not be standing in line to take turns... Yeah thats right. Natal, I mean Kinect ( i so much preferred Natal :S )is actually a way cheaper solution.

Unless of course you are a lone gamer!

theroguex

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]gnookergi[/nom]You people who whine over a misspelled word piss me off more than the act itself. No one cares if they spelled a word wrong - so shut up and post something relevant.[/citation]

LOL, except for one thing... SOMEONE DOES CARE or they wouldn't be saying anything. Idiot.

Anyway... Kinect - Gimmick. Move - Gimmick. 3D - Gimmick. Someday we'll just get back to gaming and get rid of tie gimmicks.

theroguex

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Sorry for the double post.. just saw this and had to respond.

[citation][nom]1pp1k10k4m1[/nom]20 GB HD $99 (they have come down a bit now)....but that has not one thing to do with the price of rice in China.....A Cadillac Escalade costs more than a Chevy Cavalier for a reason...[/citation]

1 - The 60GB HDD is $99, not the 20GB.
2 - The saying is 'the price of TEA in China.'
3 - A Cadillac Escalade is a piece of crap, waste of materials. The only reason it costs more is because it's made of more resources, otherwise it's junk. It's not a better vehicle than the Cavalier (which, btw, hasn't been produced since 2005).

gtown

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Meh as far as I can see, Sony has this one in the bag, they passed up on the Natal project and developed something better, they have 3D, Play TV, integrated browser and not to mention its the only system EVER to be 100% hack proof.

gtown

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Meh as far as I can see, Sony has this one in the bag, they passed up on the Natal project and developed something better, they have 3D, Play TV, integrated browser and not to mention its the only system EVER to be 100% hack proof.

HappyBB

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
Well, it's just my opinion that the 3D effect is gimmicky. It's cool, but not necessary. Moreover, one has to wear glasses to see the 3D effect is tiresome and troublesome. To me, 3D is not essential as HD is to me now.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Kinect: cool to "wow" old people... worthless for gaming.

I think I just summarized it in a sentence and you wasted an entire article?

PS Move might actually be able to do games and not whatever that was that MS showed off.

(I'm not bashing MS, just Kinect. I still love my 360)

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]HappyBB[/nom]Well, it's just my opinion that the 3D effect is gimmicky. It's cool, but not necessary. Moreover, one has to wear glasses to see the 3D effect is tiresome and troublesome. To me, 3D is not essential as HD is to me now.[/citation]
3D is the only technology that has been an epic failure since 1950 and people still try to make you think it's new and cool.

What is worse is that by 2012 or 2013 when new console might come out, only a handful of people will own 3D tv's anyways, still. It's highly likely that 3D TVs won't reach 20% market penetration until the next generation of consoles. So all of this money is being spent on a gimmick no one will see.

grajasekar

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
Somehow, this is quite the opposite of what I expected on a Tom's hardware article. 3D isn't mainstream yet and it'll take some time doing before it is thanks to more expensive tech. Besides the PS3 has already had a firmware upgrade to make it support 3D blurays and games like KZ3 will be coming with a 3D option too.

The Kinect games were almost all meant for a casual crowd and not for a gamer who spends big money on his games, such people could just as well buy a Wii and be content. The demos shown on stage were none too impressive and only the Star Wars demo (which they botched horribly trying to fool the viewers into thinking it was a player actually playing) evoked even a bit of interest. The price of Kinect (and the fact that Xbox 360 owners with a non-slim 360 will need additional hardware for Kinect) will certainly be something one thinks about when deciding between the Kinect and the Wii.

Moreover, even without the ever-delayed GT5, Sony has a huge repertoire of decent exclusives on the PS3 and more like KZ3 on the way. What they lack in panache they make up for with content in their E3 conferences. MS could have showcased their games far better than spend a hideous amount of money on putting a show that people sincerely found to be just weird.

Bluetooth 2.0+ EDR and Wifi-n ? Those are the upgrades that you think Sony really needs to make to compete with the 360? Ha, very few people consider those very slight differences between n and g editions of the 802.11 standard when purchasing a console. By integrating wifi (finally) into the 360 it is MS who's playing catch up. I'd rather Sony didn't try to compete with them in the casual games area, but for now the Move is more than enough.

Please, before you post such stuff, go a bit around gaming forums on the net and get a hint of the sentiment regarding announcements from major companies.

m-manla

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Must we forget about the Playstation EYE that has been out in the market for a long time, and it does almost everything that the Kinect will do.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I just can't express how unbelievably stupid the "Price Drop" comment was.
So you need to spend 2500$ "for full potential" and most of that on TV, yet you'd care about 50$ price drop on PS3 stuff? Eh?

Kryan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
i am SERIOUSLY close to jumping on the console bandwagon (a night of lulz-little big planet won me over...the wine and 2 pretty women probably helped too) but the thing that keeps me from just going out today and buying a ps3 (i want the blu ray feature too) is the price...and yes, even 50 bucks cheaper would sway me...

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]100% agree with ya there! I guess they are milking the cow on this looking for the up and coming kiddies 10-13 yr old boys who dont have a console yet other then their little sister's Wii from 3 years ago lol. My PC is 5 generations ahead of the crapbox and cant imaging playing a game with 720p and all those jaggies (Vomits in mouth). Nothing can compare to DX11 with 2560 x 1600 (yes thats 1600p) resolution quad core/8gb ram/Asus 5970. Thanks but no thanks Microsoft![/citation]

Wow so what do you get at that res 3 frames a second. Shut up.

Status
Not open for further replies.