Question What now - - - RX 6500 non-XT ?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I've got this old Dell Inspiron 3647 Small Desktop machine (Haswell era) that I bought new for my son years ago, and recently posted about bringing back to life. It was never dead, just neglected, and a cheap upgrade made it game-worthy.

It has an R7 250E as the low profile card with a single-slot-height cooler, which is all that'll fit in there.

I shouldn't even be thinking about upgrading, but I started looking into the RX 6400, since there are variants that are half height and with a cooler that's within the single-slot-height envelope. Not willing to pay what they go for new, I wandered into the Ebay minefield, and, in my searching, I came across what I thought was an RX 6500 XT, but in that same limited height for the cooler. I thought that was impossible, given the 107W TDP, then noted that there appeared to be no PCIe connector, either.

A Dell RX 6500 non-XT OEM card. I couldn't seem to find specs anywhere about it, though I found a reference on Reddit. @JarredWaltonGPU I'm sure figured out what was going on in this post before the end fo the first sentence, I'm sure, and can assume my level of glee at the thought of something that's (probably) faster than an RX 6400, but 75W or less.

Now with all that long-winded prelude, has anyone run into these before? Does anyone have any information about the card? I wasn't able to find any details about its specifications or performance - uh, I use that term loosely, meaning relative to the RX 6400, RX 6500 XT, and the GTX 1650.

Besides the low-profile single-slot limitation, the length of the card must not exceed 8" and note that thing only came with a 220w PSU. On the bright side there's no whitelist, and the PCIe slot isn't limited to 25w. But it may require a lower-profile card than most low-profile cards.

Don't know about the special RX6500, but RX6400 is twice as fast as the usual GT1030 people put in those things, and appears to pull quite a bit less power than its 53w rating suggests so RX6500 may be the same. With such low-end cards the x4 interface probably isn't that much of a problem either, at least with that i7 and not the original Pentium G3220 (which was only PCIe 2.0)

I've got this old Dell Inspiron 3647 Small Desktop machine (Haswell era) that I bought new for my son years ago, and recently posted about bringing back to life. It was never dead, just neglected, and a cheap upgrade made it game-worthy.

It has an R7 250E as the low profile card with a single-slot-height cooler, which is all that'll fit in there.

I shouldn't even be thinking about upgrading, but I started looking into the RX 6400, since there are variants that are half height and with a cooler that's within the single-slot-height envelope. Not willing to pay what they go for new, I wandered into the Ebay minefield, and, in my searching, I came across what I thought was an RX 6500 XT, but in that same limited height for the cooler. I thought that was impossible, given the 107W TDP, then noted that there appeared to be no PCIe connector, either.

A Dell RX 6500 non-XT OEM card. I couldn't seem to find specs anywhere about it, though I found a reference on Reddit. @JarredWaltonGPU I'm sure figured out what was going on in this post before the end fo the first sentence, I'm sure, and can assume my level of glee at the thought of something that's (probably) faster than an RX 6400, but 75W or less.

Now with all that long-winded prelude, has anyone run into these before? Does anyone have any information about the card? I wasn't able to find any details about its specifications or performance - uh, I use that term loosely, meaning relative to the RX 6400, RX 6500 XT, and the GTX 1650.
I mean, RX 6500 XT and RX 6400 mostly differ in CU counts and power limits, with the latter perhaps being more important. Doing an RX 6500 XT core with a <75W power limit to enable having no PCIe 6-pin connector shouldn't be too difficult. Whether the performance will justify such a design over a regular RX 6400 remains to be seen.

12 CU at 57W vs. 16 CU at 75W? On paper, I think it would be reasonable to expect about a 25% increase in performance, just from the combination of TDP and CUs. There are definitely OEM models out there that don't match up with retail configurations, just because the OEMs like Dell specifically want stuff like what you're discussing. "Give us the most powerful GPU you can stuff within a <75W power limit so that we don't need an extra 6-pin cable!"

Reactions: King_V
Last edited:
Reactions: King_V
Jun 24, 2024
This review is based on:
1)Thermal Degree reduction of central Unit.
2) and optimization of communication times between Hardwre.
You have an opportunity to have maximum performance for your PC.
and that is: you have a central unit from a famous manufacturer. I concern manufacturer of: Laptops. PCs. Monitors and accessories.
... this advantage gives specific conditions to follow:
.................................................. ..........
1)
Original GPU [GT 635M]: 1.45/5 performance rating
GPU upgrade [R7 250E]: 4.29/5 performance rating according to the best compatible part.
.................................................. ........
2) Memory performance optimization. and recommendations
Speed frequency: 1600Mhz
DDR3 8GB X(2): PCI

.................................................. ......
3)HDMI Type A
.................................................. .....
4) for good PC Performance in Game Playing
.WinOptimizer FREE
.Advanced System Care
Greetings

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Cool, thanks for the input guys.

Because I'm a lunatic, I'm sort of poking a bit at Ebay auctions where I'm seeing them, but I'm also a cheap SOB when it comes to unknown stuff, so the amount I'm willing to pay is less than what the VERY few sellers of these that I'm finding are hoping for.

And, I have a vague suspicion that at least one of them has additional accounts in an attempt to push the price up of the cards, though I couldn't really prove that.

Still, maybe I'll get lucky and manage to snag one at a price I'm willing to accept.

TRENDING THREADS