[SOLVED] What to consider !! Between GTX 1650 vs RTX 3050 TI.

Sep 17, 2021
Hi,

I am currently planning to upgrade my laptop for a better work experience + casual gaming (CSGO, DOTA 2 **). + training AI, ML graphic-intensive models for educational purposes.

I personally love the Lenovo Legion Build + Keyboard etc. so I am planning to buy the same brand however I am bouncing off between 2 variants

Option 1: ($1500 as per my locality)

Processor: 5th Gen AMD Ryzen 7 - 5800H | Speed: 3.2 GHz (Base) - 4.4 GHz (Max) | 8 Cores | 16 Threads | 16MB Cache
Display: 15.6" FHD (1920x1080) Dolby Vision | IPS Technology | 165 Hz Refresh Rate | 300Nits Brightness | 100% sRGB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti 4GB GDDR6 Dedicated Graphics with max TGP 95W | Boost Clock 1485/1695MHz | Free-Sync and G-Sync
Memory and Storage: 16GB RAM DDR4-3200 | 512GB SSD
Cooling: Legion Coldfront 3.0 with Quad Channel Exhaust System with Copper Fins
Keyboard: Full-size 4-Zone RGB LED Backlit Legion TrueStrike Keyboard with 100% Anti-Ghosting, Anti-Abrasion and Soft-Landing switches | 1.5 mm Key Travel | Large Arrow Keys | Large one piece Track Pad

Option 2: ($925 as per my locality)

Processor: 10th Gen Intel Core i5 | Speed 2.5 GHz |
Display: 15.6" Full HD (1920x1080) | Wide Viewing Angle | Anti-Glare | IPS Technology | 120 Hz Refresh Rate | 250 nits
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6 Dedicated Graphics
Memory and Storage: 8GB RAM DDR4-2933 | 512 GB SSD (+ upgradeable up to 16GB)
Cooling: Coldfront 2.0 with Dual Channel thermal mechanism | Q Control 3.0 to select between Quiet, Balance and Performance thermal modes
Keyboard: Full-size Backlit Keyboard with 100% Anti-Ghosting and soft landing switches | 1.5 mm Key Travel

I want to buy a laptop that is going to be my daily driver for the next 5 years.

So my question is Option 1 really worth the extra 50% cost considering my usage & appetite?

My current configuration for reference:
--------------------
Lenovo G50-80
--------------------
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5500U CPU @ 2.40GHz Cores 2 Logical Processor 4
--------------------
WIFI Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160
--------------------
RAM 8GB DDR3
--------------------
GPU:INTEL(R) HD Graphics 5500
--------------------
HARD DISK:500GB
--------------------

Solution
The difference between the two laptops is not just the GPU. You are not even comparing similar systems. They have huge differences actually.
  • Top of the line, latest gen CPU vs mid range previous gen CPU
  • Mid range GPU latest gen vs entry level GPU previous gen.
  • 16gb of fast ram vs 8gb slower ram (8 is low for gaming)
  • 165Hz vs 120 Hz
There is a clear winner when it comes to performance. Since you need it to last for 5 years (I suppose you mean to perform good for the next 5 years) something really really really hard for a laptop, then the more expensive one is your ONLY choice from these two.
The difference between the two laptops is not just the GPU. You are not even comparing similar systems. They have huge differences actually.
  • 165Hz vs 120 Hz
There is a clear winner when it comes to performance. Since you need it to last for 5 years (I suppose you mean to perform good for the next 5 years) something really really really hard for a laptop, then the more expensive one is your ONLY choice from these two.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution

CS_044

Commendable
Aug 25, 2020
As was mentioned above, if you are planning on using this laptop for 5 years or more, go for the more expensive option as it will fair much better then the other system, the parts differences are huge, going one close to high end and one thats Top of entry level / Mid Range there will be a noticable difference, so I also think just go for the more expensive one, if you can afford to.

Sep 17, 2021
  • 165Hz vs 120 Hz
Thanks for replying, I apologize for asking such a "kind of newbie" question.

The main reason behind it was actually trying to figure out if I really need to spend so much more money to get the latest gen GPU.

As you said I should stick to the best and get Option 1 which will serve me better in the long run.

Thanks again, cheers.

Reactions: dotas1 and CS_044

CS_044

Commendable
Aug 25, 2020

The main reason behind it was actually trying to figure out if I really need to spend so much more money to get the latest gen GPU.

As you said I should stick to the best and get Option 1 which will serve me better in the long run.

Thanks again, cheers.
Yup, it will serve you for a long time if you aren't an "intense" user, I just built a desktop for a mate which was top end spec (5800X and RTX3070) since he doesn't really care about the hardware and wants it to last as long as possible, so it's a good thing to do.

Reactions: Faraz Gilane

Thanks again, cheers.
There is no problem asking about anything. We all started from scratch.

I wanted to point out the rest of the hardware being superior so you could understand better that the more expensive option is the only choice for the purpose you want.

I hope you enjoy the one you get and it does lasts the period you want it to!

Reactions: Faraz Gilane