[SOLVED] What to do to get more fps in csgo?

matacar

Reputable
May 4, 2018
My specs:

MB: Asus h110m-k d3

CPU: i5 6600k

GPU: AMD rx 580 8gb

RAM: 2x4gb ddr3 1660mhz

Monitor: Benq xl2411p 144hz

PSU: Seasonic GM650 650W

I get in ffa deathmatch average 120 fps (90 - 150 low - high). On faceit, I get a little bit more cuz it's 5v5 not 10v10, but it can get lower than 100fps in certain situations for example: im on ct side train playing from A site, 3 smokes 2 mollys and flashes pop and 5 t's rush A site. I start getting 90 fps, the game is not smooth anymore for like 5-6 seconds while they are rushing. I don't like that.

Temperatures for cpu and gpu are normal, Ping is normal always.

I use in lauch options: -novid -refresh 144 -nod3d9ex1 -tickrate 128 -threads 4 -high +fps_max 0 +cl_showfps 1 +cl_interp 0 +cl_interp_ratio 1 +cl_updaterate 128 +cl_cmdrate 128 +mat_queue_mode 2 +cl_forcepreload 1 -nojoy. THIS gave me like 20-30 fps, before it was even worse.

Before the rx580 I had 1050ti, literally same thing, did not have to buy the rx580.

CSGO is set on high priority, and in control panel, the power plan is set on high performance. In task manager CPU is on 64%-72% utilization and GPU is constantly on 50%-51%.

Solution
Which component would you say I should get first?
Well if it was me, I would wait and save up some money to build a new PC. DDR3 is outdated and I myself dislike upgrading on DDR3 motherboards, knowing they will just get more and more out of date. So if you want to buy in a specific order first, I would buy a DDR4 motherboard first. It won't give you too much of a performance boost, but what you can put onto it will for sure. After you have a mobo, you will need some DDR4 RAM to go with it. After you have that, maybe the GPU. After that just go with whatever.... or buy everything at once after some saving time :)

Edit: DDR3 RAM will NOT work on DDR4 motherboards, so get them at the same time... I presume everyone knows this but...
csgo is somewhat cpu bound, and likes high cpu clocks.
i would say swap the cpu, but a better gpu would also give you more fps, since the 6600k is not a bad cpu at all.
also, the rx 580 isnt a very big improvement on the 1050ti, only around 15-20% better probably

Snoobaa

Reputable
Feb 13, 2020
My specs:

MB: Asus h110m-k d3

CPU: i5 6600k

GPU: AMD rx 580 8gb

RAM: 2x4gb ddr3 1660mhz

Monitor: Benq xl2411p 144hz

PSU: Seasonic GM650 650W

I get in ffa deathmatch average 120 fps (90 - 150 low - high). On faceit, I get a little bit more cuz it's 5v5 not 10v10, but it can get lower than 100fps in certain situations for example: im on ct side train playing from A site, 3 smokes 2 mollys and flashes pop and 5 t's rush A site. I start getting 90 fps, the game is not smooth anymore for like 5-6 seconds while they are rushing. I don't like that.

Temperatures for cpu and gpu are normal, Ping is normal always.

I use in lauch options: -novid -refresh 144 -nod3d9ex1 -tickrate 128 -threads 4 -high +fps_max 0 +cl_showfps 1 +cl_interp 0 +cl_interp_ratio 1 +cl_updaterate 128 +cl_cmdrate 128 +mat_queue_mode 2 +cl_forcepreload 1 -nojoy. THIS gave me like 20-30 fps, before it was even worse.

Before the rx580 I had 1050ti, literally same thing, did not have to buy the rx580.

CSGO is set on high priority, and in control panel, the power plan is set on high performance. In task manager CPU is on 64%-72% utilization and GPU is constantly on 50%-51%.
If you're wanting ways to get more frames without upgrading, I don't think you can with your current setup. This is something you would expect off of these specs. What graphics quality do you run?

matacar

Reputable
May 4, 2018
csgo is somewhat cpu bound, and likes high cpu clocks.
i would say swap the cpu, but a better gpu would also give you more fps, since the 6600k is not a bad cpu at all.
also, the rx 580 isnt a very big improvement on the 1050ti, only around 15-20% better probably
It says it's a 50% improvement on userbenchmark.

Snoobaa

Reputable
Feb 13, 2020
Which component would you say I should get first?
Well if it was me, I would wait and save up some money to build a new PC. DDR3 is outdated and I myself dislike upgrading on DDR3 motherboards, knowing they will just get more and more out of date. So if you want to buy in a specific order first, I would buy a DDR4 motherboard first. It won't give you too much of a performance boost, but what you can put onto it will for sure. After you have a mobo, you will need some DDR4 RAM to go with it. After you have that, maybe the GPU. After that just go with whatever.... or buy everything at once after some saving time :)

Edit: DDR3 RAM will NOT work on DDR4 motherboards, so get them at the same time... I presume everyone knows this but just making sure.

Last edited:
Solution

matacar

Reputable
May 4, 2018

Edit: DDR3 RAM will NOT work on DDR4 motherboards, so get them at the same time... I presume everyone knows this but just making sure.
Thanks for the help, I will definitely consider your advice.

Reactions: Snoobaa

matacar

Reputable
May 4, 2018

I have another question about the frame drop.
I reisntalled windows a week ago, and my fps got worse than it was before. I got freaking 120average fps in aim_botz... a map where its only me and bots. Can you tell me why that is?