Question What to do with an old laptop ?

baboo85

Reputable
Nov 6, 2017
Hi all
I know, this is a common question found on the web, but all the solution are all the same and in my opinion very stupid. The only one useful is to use Linux to use it as a server, but the guide is 99% Linux configuration and then 3 rows at the end with all the things you can do. Yeah, right, thanks.

I was thinking about using it as a "server", or something more useful than a door stop.
It has an old Intel Core 2 Duo P8400, 4GB DDR2 ram, 1 HDD slot (2 if I replace the DVD unit, I already have the HDD adapters) and it's working perfectly, no hardware problems.

"Sadly" I already have a NAS server (with 10TB disks in RAID1 using TrueNAS) + the old one (with 4TB disks) that I need to repurpose yet, I already have a Space Engineers dedicated server, and I can't think anything else.
Theoretically I can use it as a home TV pc, but I already have another one more recent (it has an Intel Celeron 847 1,1GHz that could be less powerful but it has 8GB DDR3 ram) and even if I replace it, then I have another spare PC to use.

Another problem is that I have another 2 laptop with an Intel Core i5-4310, more powerful and more useful (and I could mount 3 disks, 1 mSATA + 1 2,5" disk + another one using an adapter instead the DVD unit).

In conclusion: it's time to put that old laptop at rest (I can't trash it, it's my old historical working laptop) or there is an incredible idea that I couldn't think of?

Lutfij

Titan
(I can't trash it, it's my old historical working laptop)
If the device has sentimental value, it should be up on a pedestal or a shelf for posterity's sake.

On a side note, there are people who are less fortunate who could use a computer to work or spend some time off of, to which they are good candidates for handing down the laptop to. I've had to dig into my parts bin for older functioning hardware in order to put together a build for a friend who literally had no money to buy one in spite of being recruited for a job I helped him get.

Laptop's aren't exactly a good platform to have as a server. If the world was ending, that's another story.

Another possible use - a computer for traveling, one you can afford to loose.

Here is howto (very simply)
  • Linux will run fine on this hardware. Install a distro you think looks ok (Linux Mint, Linux Lite, etc . . use to be a very good choice for beginners due to familiar GUI)
  • When installing - make sure to check "Encrypt whole drive" option with a password.