What to do with HD that fails SMART?

ser_renely

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2012
I have 3 Seagate 3tb drives that failed SMART. They were in a raid and I reformatted them for regular use. They seem fine other than that....would I be able to use them for anything or would that be too risky?

Thanks,

3 TB drives in particular are infamous for 'heading south' at an elevated rate compared to 1-2 TB drives, or even 4 -12 TB drives....

YOu can keep an eye on reallocated sectors, and when count starts to elevate (as is typical if a drive suffers a slight head crash), don't be surrpised, and, don't count on the drive for storage of anything other than that which can be easily redownloaded. (disposable videos, etc..)

Hello ser_renely, the best way to test a drive is use the proprietary software for them. For Seagate drives it is Seatools. SMART values do not always paint a clear picture of the health of a drive as Seagate does not publish attributes and thresholds. Therefore those results should be taken with a grain of salt. If after running the test it does not come up with any errors, then the drive is fine to use.

ser_renely

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2012
Here is an image of the HD Tunde health report
MVK5KVW.png

ser_renely

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2012

Great thank you for your help, appreciated.

Thanks to everyone else as well.

TRENDING THREADS