[SOLVED] What to do with my old router?

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
I'm going to buy a new router called Asus Tuf Gaming AX5400 because if it's attractive design and features.

This old one I have is Asus RT-AC53 and...I don't know what I can do with it. I though of potentially modding it into something like raspberry Pi but this router looks like it is using its own firmware and not something Linux based...idk.

Any ideas on what I can do with this old one?

Solution
It is linux based. It likely is running asuswrt. You can get the source code from asus and mod it I think.

You should also be able to load openwrt onto it which tends to have more features.

This is only a guess though lots of fine details you need to dig around to find. I know it makes a difference if the router part number has a U on the end. There could be other variations that affect how much flash and ram it has. Those tend to be critical things when look at third party firmware. Before you try anything to drastic make sure you find instructions on how to unbrick the router some are simple others are very messy needed to solder into the main board.

Nothing really to lose though the device is rather old and only...

kanewolf

Titan
I'm going to buy a new router called Asus Tuf Gaming AX5400 because if it's attractive design and features.

This old one I have is Asus RT-AC53 and...I don't know what I can do with it. I though of potentially modding it into something like raspberry Pi but this router looks like it is using its own firmware and not something Linux based...idk.

Any ideas on what I can do with this old one?
The most common use is to set the mode of the router to access point and to use an ethernet cable back to the primary router. Tis the provides a second WIFI source to either improve coverage or to move non-critical WIFI devices to this secondary WIFI source.

It is linux based. It likely is running asuswrt. You can get the source code from asus and mod it I think.

You should also be able to load openwrt onto it which tends to have more features.

This is only a guess though lots of fine details you need to dig around to find. I know it makes a difference if the router part number has a U on the end. There could be other variations that affect how much flash and ram it has. Those tend to be critical things when look at third party firmware. Before you try anything to drastic make sure you find instructions on how to unbrick the router some are simple others are very messy needed to solder into the main board.

Nothing really to lose though the device is rather old and only has 100mbps ports.

Reactions: WrongRookie
Solution