Question What to do with my router?

thegreatespero

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012
So I have the ISP modem in one room on the first floor and the router in another room one floor below, since the floor was too thick and I needed a router for the wireless signal. Now for a while now, even though internet over cable works, I have been unable to access the WiFi because it says the password is incorrect, and I am unable to change it since I can't access the admin panel of my router, When I type in the IP address for the router admin, I get taken to the ISP modem login instead. Reseting the router by pushing a pin in it as per the manufacturer's instructions didn't help. Any idea what is up?

Hard to be 100% sure but I will make a few assumptions which might not be correct.

I am betting you are running the second router with the same LAN ip/network as you main "modem" which I also suspect has router function. If the ISP device has wifi it a router for sure.

When you reset routers and do initial configuration you are best off disconnecting them from everything except the PC you are using to configure it. This prevents issues with duplicate IP addresses and DHCP issues.

I suspect you will have no issues configuring it when it is disconnected if it does then you have a very strange issue if it does not properly factory reset.

When you configure it you want to run it as a AP and not a router. Pretty much this just lets you use the WAN port and in most cases it will automatically disable the DHCP server. You might as well check that the DHCP is disabled. Some routers also assign a different IP to the lan so it does not conflict with the main router. So if your main router uses say 192.168.1.1 you would set the AP to use something like 192.168.1.250

thegreatespero

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012
Hard to be 100% sure but I will make a few assumptions which might not be correct.

I am betting you are running the second router with the same LAN ip/network as you main "modem" which I also suspect has router function. If the ISP device has wifi it a router for sure.

This prevents issues with duplicate IP addresses and DHCP issues.

I suspect you will have no issues configuring it when it is disconnected if it does then you have a very strange issue if it does not properly factory reset.

When you configure it you want to run it as a AP and not a router. Pretty much this just lets you use the WAN port and in most cases it will automatically disable the DHCP server. You might as well check that the DHCP is disabled. Some routers also assign a different IP to the lan so it does not conflict with the main router. So if your main router uses say 192.168.1.1 you would set the AP to use something like 192.168.1.250

If the ISP device has wifi it a router for sure.
Could be. I think the issue started when the ISP replaced the old modem so that might confirm what you say. Problem is, I know nothing about networking, I can follow instructions for configuring, i can run some commands via CMD, but most of what you said is not clear. The Wifi signal from the modem can't reach the lower floors directly, hence why I use the router and with the old modem it worked. I also tried turning off the modem to be able to access the router config but it didn't work. Also I don't know which port
you would set the AP to use something like 192.168.1.250
Via the router admin? Which I can't access?

When you reset routers and do initial configuration you are best off disconnecting them from everything except the PC you are using to configure it.
I'll have to try it like this, the last time I did it, i only turned off the modem but did not unplug it from the router.

Tenda is know as a "value" router...ie cheap. There documentation leaves much to be desired.

So I would first follow the instructions on how to factory reset the device.

Then look to see if it has a AP mode. If it does not you can still make it into a AP.

You would first disable the DHCP function.
Then change the lan IP address to 192.168.0.250.
After that plug a cable in to a LAN port on the tenda and connect that back to your main router.

You should now be able to use 192.168.0.250 to access the tenda and setup the wifi and use 192.168.0.1 to access your main router......assuming it uses 192.168.0.1

TRENDING THREADS