[SOLVED] what to do with new file from untrusted source?

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
I'd like to know what is advised to do with file from web but the source is not totally trustable?

I can only think of -- scanning the file with Windows Defender and then uploading it to VirusTotal for second check,
anything more I can do?

If an installation file passes the virus test, could it still contain virus or other unwelcome thing after installation?

Solution
so you always test a file if you don't trust it on the "sacificial PC" before you copy it to your main PC??
On the exceedinlgy rare occasions where I might have one...either that sacrificial laptop, or a VM. Either Linux or Win 10 VM.
I have a Linux VM open ALL the time, just to check suspect URLs.

Lutfij

Titan
I'd like to know what is advised to do with file from web but the source is not totally trustable?
The first thing you do is don't even get it on your system. When you practice healthy browsing habits, you stave off the majority of threats others face and then end up paying a lot to recover from.

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
The first thing you do is don't even get it on your system. When you practice healthy browsing habits, you stave off the majority of threats others face and then end up paying a lot to recover from.

In that case, Antivirus software(even with the newest upate) is never a very guaranteed solution?

USAFRet

Titan

I can only think of -- scanning the file with Windows Defender and then uploading it to VirusTotal for second check,
anything more I can do?

If an installation file passes the virus test, could it still contain virus or other unwelcome thing after installation?
Don't be shy....give us some more info.
What is the source of this?
Why are you messing with a an untrustable location on the web?

But...what to do with it?
This is what a sacrificial PC is for.
Offline and easily reimaged.

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
Don't be shy....give us some more info.
What is the source of this?
Why are you messing with a an untrustable location on the web?

But...what to do with it?
This is what a sacrificial PC is for.
Offline and easily reimaged.

I am not worried about one single file.
I'd just like to know what is the standard way of treating a file before executing it