Question What to do with old parts?

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Doing some organizing and I have parts from my last two builds still. I have my old 560ti's and even my old 280 in the boxes, along with the motherboards and everything. Fell into the, well I might need a replacement part if something isn't working etc. 😁 Can they be tossed out? Do I have to pay to recycle them somewhere? Thanks for any ideas. I need to clear out some space.

Ralston18

Titan
Consider where you live (not asking).

Where I live we have specific landfill bins for electronic devices of any sort.

Hopefully you do not need to pay for such disposals.

However: make the effort to find some some organization, school, club, or charitable organization that will take what you have and honestly donate the working items to those in need or otherwise probably and properly recycle the remaining items.

I recently gave a bunch of odds and ends to a neighbor's son who is interested in robotics with the agreement that anything he cannot use or otherwise pass on to someone else be put into the landfill's electronics bin. Versus general trash ---> landfill burial. :(

Unfortunately, many local Government agencies at all levels signed contracts regarding the disposal of and/or recycling of electronic items,

All falling apart because recycling is no longer profitable in many cases.

My decision is to simply just pack up such parts etc. as best and compactly as I can. Store and wait.

Find a way to do so,

Reactions: Grobe and King_V

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
As far as I know, where I live, we have to pay to get rid of anything electronic. Recycling must be private for these ventures maybe? I have no collections etc. that I am aware of. Thanks for your thoughts. Anyone else have ideas for old parts? I don't want to store them anymore. I just don't have room. Trying to get my things out of a shared office that really I shouldn't be sharing. :)

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Yikes! Holding out for better ideas. Looks like it might be hundreds to get rid of the parts for a couple of pc builds at local recycling places and it appears you can't just toss it in the trash. There must be better, cheaper options out there.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Not sure where you live (not asking either), but where I live, the local county provides free recycling for most electronic devices (TV's and monitors are $10 each). Check with your local government. Otherwise, any of the suggestions above are all good ideas. Donate them to local groups (school, library, any place that looks for volunteer help); ebay or Craigslist.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: King_V

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Must be very different per state. CRT monitors under 17" are $35 each and cost is more for larger than 17". Local area has an electronics recycling day twice a year, with a pdf of all of the costs per item. :(