What To Think Of Bethesda's 'Fallout 4' Presentation At Gamescom (Opinion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhyFi

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
It has been a long time since I have seen such a whiny article with so little justification for said whining.

Cal01

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015
You're right Fallout 4 is exactly the same game as 3 because the graphics are just "a little higher". It obviously shares similarities to the other games in it's series, or were you expecting it to adopt gameplay from the sims? I understand that this is just your opinion but it sounds like you were finding things to give the game a bad name, so I ask myself are we looking at the same thing?

FO4 is probably different enough to FO3 if you plan on living a significant amount of time within the game. If your plan was to have a nice, straightforward start to finish play-through, then it might feel too similar.

Niels might have really liked the evolution of the Witcher series.

Tony Casagrande

Reputable
Mar 14, 2014
Either this entire "article" is deliberately trolling to get page views, or your opinion is bad and you should feel bad. 400+ hours of potential gameplay, build your own settlements from the ground up, 50 base weapons to customize with 700 available modifications, the damn robot actually SAYS YOUR NAME, but let's complain about... well, apparently you're complaining that it's a Fallout game.

alextheblue

Distinguished
By your logic all sequels to popular novels should be written by different authors in a different writing style, lest they be too familiar.

I for one am glad they're sticking to the same system. Any tweaks they do are welcome, but a huge part of Fallout to me is exploring a different region with different characters, a new story, missions, etc. I'm hoping to see them make the world more immersive with improved graphics and better AI.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
google polygon rockband 4 and see an even worse game article...

that said... all i want from fallout 4 is weapons with a retarded amount of customization, VERY mod friendly systems so if something in the weapons customization is lacking, its easy for someone in the know to go in and expand, and if possible, the ability to play this game without vats at all, while i like the system some times, i would love for the fps mechanic of the game to be strong enough to stand up on its own, i felt it lacking in the previous 2 3d games.

WE will see.
So far, yest graphics are quite disappointing.
First of all, we are about to hit DX12. That alone should mean that the game can look amazing.
Also, we are stuck with Fallouts 3 terrible engine (in some things like shadows or global illumination, that made fallout always look a bit cartoonish).

Than again, SKyrim, F3, F New vegas all used an engine that was not revolutionary at all.
Its common practice for companies nowdays as it seems to just redo games constantly untill people stop buying them.

But... the game is not out yet, so we will ahve to wait and see.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
WE will see.
First of all, we are about to hit DX12. That alone should mean that the game can look amazing.
Also, we are stuck with Fallouts 3 terrible engine (in some things like shadows or global illumination, that made fallout always look a bit cartoonish).

Than again, SKyrim, F3, F New vegas all used an engine that was not revolutionary at all.
Its common practice for companies nowdays as it seems to just redo games constantly untill people stop buying them.

umm no on the "stuck with fall out 3 engine" the engine is clearly an updated version of the skyrim engine. so no we are not stuck with fallout3's engine. But I suppose you could argue that the skyrim engine is just an update to the oblivion/FO3 engine itself.

therickmu25

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
I'll agree with the author that this game does not look impressive at all so far. Maybe I expect too much from Bethesda at this point.

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
WE will see.

umm no on the "stuck with fall out 3 engine" the engine is clearly an updated version of the skyrim engine. so no we are not stuck with fallout3's engine. But I suppose you could argue that the skyrim engine is just an update to the oblivion/FO3 engine itself.

All of those games use the same engine. Gamebryo, Bethesda's extended it a bunch, but it's the same basic engine.

I couldn't care less about the graphics, if the game's good that's all I care about. I'm going to buy it on PC anyway.

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
I am just really happy they removed the level cap. The level 20 cap was the most annoying thing to me from 3. Otherwise, 3 was a lot of fun IMO. I really like that you are supposed to be able to build things from stuff you salvage--that is really cool :)

FusionPirate

Reputable
Aug 7, 2015
The main achievement of this article is in showcasing the author's utter ignorance of Fallout. Let's delve in, shall we?

1) "This [progression] system isn't much different from past titles, but it seems to work well..." The progression system is VASTLY revised from Fallout 3 (and New Vegas). Rather than allocating skill points and selecting a single perk when leveling, they have seamlessly rolled skills into perks, making the system far deeper, while simultaneously streamlining the process.

2) "What I saw were various fragments of gameplay stitched together, where the player would enter combat, select different weapons with his Pip-Boy, shoot enemies, reload, and use the V.A.T.S. targeting system. Sound familiar?" Yeah...it's SUPPOSED to sound familiar. If BethSoft did away with the V.A.T.S. system, can you imagine the uproar this would cause in the fanbase/community? But the bigger (and more offensive) issue here, is how you make these broad-stroke generalizations without having done a modicum of preparation or research. Are you aware that BethSoft consulted extensively with id Software, and hired ex-Bungie employees in order to improve point-to-point shooting in the game? Now the game is supposed to play just like a contemporary FPS if the player doesn't want to rely on V.A.T.S. Furthermore, V.A.T.S. itself isn't simply "the same as the previous game". It's been completely overhauled; now, instead of freezing time, V.A.T.S. slows time, so enemies are still moving - meaning percentage chances of hitting body parts will change in real-time depending on which direction they're moving in, or whether they're partially behind cover, etc.

3) "I am, however, simply shocked that I had such a hard time figuring out what, if anything is new about the game. Even all the sound effects were recycled..." Again, generalized ignorance. The graphics have been massively overhauled in this game. Sure, we're not looking at The Order 1886 or Uncharted 4, but neither of those games are seamless, massive open-world games where EVERY SINGLE OBJECT can be interacted with. I am playing through Fallout 3 right now. I can tell you firsthand, when I go from FO3 to watching the FO4 E3 demo, it is a huge generational leap, from textures, to resolution, to color, to lighting/fx, to animation. Yes the ART STYLES are very similar. But you're confusing art style with visual fidelity, which is really frustrating to read. The sound effects (and general sound) has also been completely revised, despite your ill-informed commentary. Of course, certain "essential cues" will carry over...the 'location discovery' sound, the chime of killing an enemy and gaining XP, etc...these are hallowed parts of the Fallout cannon. However, did you consider some other audio basics? Like how the main protagonist is FULLY VOICE-ACTED? A male and female actor each recorded over 13,000 lines of dialogue alone; that in turn, is but a fraction of the recorded dialogue in the overall game. To simply pass off the visuals and sound as "recycled" is flat-out wrong, and frankly insulting to both BethSoft, and the fans who have a vested interest in this game, and who actually know a thing or two about it.

Side note - were you even aware about the robust settlement/structure/community building mechanic within the game? Probably not, because you apparently missed the memo at E3, and based your entire opinion of FO4 on this lone demo, without any preliminary research.

Shameful article.

TJB88

Honorable
May 25, 2013
Jeez, the amount of fanboys taking a paddy because someone didn't say their new game looks amazing.
Fact is, it doesn't look anything special. The graphics are average and the gameplay is the same...which is not good because if everything stayed the same we would still be left with only sidescrollers and top down rpgs.
Bethesda are milking a cash cow with this game and 99% of the comments show that people are ready to buy anything with "Fallout" printed on it.

hannibal

Distinguished
Well the real thing that has any meaning is, if the story is good and the game in good balance. I candy is nice, but in games like this, the story behind is the king...
I don't know if this will be a good game or not, but using old engines does not make it bad or good.

TJB88

Honorable
May 25, 2013

Oh it really is a problem. The last engine was buggy as hell and would cause the game to become unstable on the console after sinking a lot of time into it, and yes, this is the exact bug Skyrim had as they used the same engine. So, if they have not done a real overhaul of the engine, expect a vast amount of instability.

Plus games in the past use to have good stories and breakthrough gameplay, so why are we now only settling for one of those? Why has the bar been lowered?

beetlejuicegr

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
I understand what the author of the article says.
After all think about it, FO4 just appeared suddenly and the truth is from FO1and 2 to FO3 there were huge differences. However from 3 to 4 you are not surprised. I think thats what the author wanted to express in his article.

chenw

Honorable
Well, let's put it this way.

There is very little difference in the core programming and core gameplay between FO1 and FO2, but what has changed the most was how some of the things were done compared to FO1 (for example, how party members are controlled), and some expansions on what could be done already (such as, weapon upgrades).

FO3 is a completely difference genre to FO2, so obviously big changes will occur. But FO3, NV and FO4 share the same genre, so by and large they will have more that's similar than different.

If the recipe works, why would anyone want a major overhaul? The classic "don't fix it if it ain't broke" argument applies here.

If fallout4 is laziness, then what is Street Fighter? Or Counter-Strike?

TJB88

Honorable
May 25, 2013

7 years has passed since FO3 - I think they could have tried a bit harder from what we are seeing. Yes, there is only so much you can do but they have gone well below that. Off the top of my head they could have had advanced weather system (think of huge sand storms etc), advanced destruction (why open a door when you can blow it up, or even better riddle the building), and so on. To put it another way, FO4 looks like it could have come out on 7th gen platforms.

LowMano

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015
Judging by all that negativity, and certain dislike for "most" of the elements of the game that make it what it has always been, you're basically telling everyone here that Fallout shouldn't be Fallout. Well then if that's the case, then i'm going to tell everyone here that TES:VI should be like Fable, because open world is over rated..

Status
Not open for further replies.