What To Upgrade First? (CPU, MB, RAM, Etc. OR GPU)

Oct 29, 2018
So I am upgrading my PC, or more-so, building a completely new one, and I am in an internal debate on which section I should upgrade first, as they both have similar price points but different performance gains.
I am upgrading my CPU, MB, RAM, CPU Cooler, Case, and GPU in total, with my storage and (Possibly) my GPU transferring over to the new build if I take on of the mentioned upgrade paths.

CURRENT SPECS:
• CPU - AMD FX-8320
• GPU - SAPPHIRE Nitro R9 390 OC
• MB - Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 (Rev 2?)
• RAM - (Generic) 2x4GB DDR3 2200Mhz ADATA
• Case - Generic Red/Black iBuyPower Case
• CPU Cooler - Generic Air Cooler
• *Storage: Samsung EVO 860 250GB + Generic 500GB HDD

NEW *FUTURE* SPECS (UPGRADE)
• CPU - i9-9900k
• GPU - (Undecided Which AM Card) "RTX 2080 Ti"
• MB - ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero Z390
• RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz
• Case - CORSAIR Obsidian 500D RGB SE
• CPU Cooler - NZXT RL-KRX62-02 Kraken X62 280mm
• *Storage: Samsung EVO 860 250GB + Generic 500GB HDD (Upgrading Later)

(I run a 1440p 144hz BenQ monitor, and currently, my specs won't even push above 144hz on the games I play, even on the lowest settings without editing the in-game render resolution, which I do not want to lower too far, which I have had to do with some games to my disinterest).

My dilemma is which section of upgrade I should do first, whether that be the new CPU, MB, RAM, Case, and CPU Cooler, or go for just the GPU for now. Both average around $1250.00 total, with prices fluctuating every so often.

I fear that my AMD FX-8320 would definitely create a bottleneck for the 2080 Ti, but I am still unsure if it truly would. Keep in mind that I mainly play games on my computer, so hence why I am considering the GPU first, but I don't really know if that would help the most in this scenario.

Help, please? I truly just want to know if the GPU will not perform as to expectations due to the current specs in my current build, which I know is pretty "meh" for my resolution and refresh rate and the type of games I play.

Also, to note, I understand the prices and such about my new parts, and I am pretty set on my component decisions and combinations, but suggestions are still accepted.

- If any further information is needed, don't be shy to ask for more information, thank you. :)

Solution
Let that 390oc fly! It's a fact it's being stumped by that FX cpu. The FX had @66% of 3rd gen IPC, is closer to 30% of the 9th gen Intel. The R9 390 ranks somewhere around the level of a gtx1060, but that FX is treating it more like a gtx950 in anything highly single threaded. Wouldn't be surprised to see 30fps+ averages boost on any new platform.

With as stumped as the 390 already is on the FX, jumping higher in gpus will show almost no gains whatsoever, basically being nothing but a holdover until you get a cpu capable of setting the gpu free.

Passmark for i7-9900k is over 20,500 the i7-9700k is over 17,000 and the FX 8320 is a hair over 8k. That's like comparing a 1 legged, overweight basset hound to a whippet and a gray hound.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Let that 390oc fly! It's a fact it's being stumped by that FX cpu. The FX had @66% of 3rd gen IPC, is closer to 30% of the 9th gen Intel. The R9 390 ranks somewhere around the level of a gtx1060, but that FX is treating it more like a gtx950 in anything highly single threaded. Wouldn't be surprised to see 30fps+ averages boost on any new platform.

With as stumped as the 390 already is on the FX, jumping higher in gpus will show almost no gains whatsoever, basically being nothing but a holdover until you get a cpu capable of setting the gpu free.

Passmark for i7-9900k is over 20,500 the i7-9700k is over 17,000 and the FX 8320 is a hair over 8k. That's like comparing a 1 legged, overweight basset hound to a whippet and a gray hound.

Solution