Question Why is this happening? / PC random black screens but my pc is still on.

Aug 31, 2024
SO…
I have been having this issue for months and I'm not sure if its hardware or a software problem but my screen will go black at random times, only leaving me to shut off my pc (cause its still on after black screen) and turn it back on. This black screen thing can happen at ANY time at the least you would expect it. Now every time I would do this I would hear some kind of error and i'm not even sure if thats even the main issue. But I can look in event viewer and see what this BS is all about.

All of the errors in my event viewer says

"The NVIDIA LocalSystem Container service terminated with the following error: A generic command executable returned a result that indicates failure."

And there are like a ton of these errors with that same message

If ANYONE is having this same issue or similar please respond.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Full system specs, including PSU make and model (or part number) is? Also, how old the PSU is, and was the PSU bought new or used/refurbished?

"The NVIDIA LocalSystem Container service terminated with the following error: A generic command executable returned a result that indicates failure."
When screen goes black, thy the following command: hold down Windows key and press Ctrl + Shift + B on your keyboard.
Look if image comes back.

If it does, good, it narrows down things.
This command restarts GPU drivers. Note: this command may not work when you are in-game when screen goes black.

If not, issue is more severe.
If you boot into Safe Mode, does the black screen issue remain? Or is everything fine in Safe Mode?

Are you running latest GPU drivers?

Aug 31, 2024
Full system specs, including PSU make and model (or part number) is? Also, how old the PSU is, and was the PSU bought new or used/refurbished?

When screen goes black, thy the following command: hold down Windows key and press Ctrl + Shift + B on your keyboard.
Look if image comes back.

If it does, good, it narrows down things.
This command restarts GPU drivers. Note: this command may not work when you are in-game when screen goes black.

If not, issue is more severe.
If you boot into Safe Mode, does the black screen issue remain? Or is everything fine in Safe Mode?

Are you running latest GPU drivers?
So sorry for the late reply.. I’ve been busy but yes I was running the latest drivers even though because of my problems I cannot access geforce experience.

And i tried the ctrl+shift+b and nothing worked and yes it even black screened in safe mode.

But these black screens happen so randomly . Like you’ll never see it coming.

and let me get this out the way that my RTX 3080 TI was purchased from new egg in 2021 and I learned recently that they have been kind on a downfall so not sure if its got affected by that.

But yeah thats my update so far and like I said its been like this for months.

Aug 31, 2024
So sorry for the late reply.. I’ve been busy but yes I was running the latest drivers even though because of my problems I cannot access geforce experience.

And i tried the ctrl+shift+b and nothing worked and yes it even black screened in safe mode.

But these black screens happen so randomly . Like you’ll never see it coming.

and let me get this out the way that my RTX 3080 TI was purchased from new egg in 2021 and I learned recently that they have been kind on a downfall so not sure if its got affected by that.

But yeah thats my update so far and like I said its been like this for months.
Also the PSU not sure about either if it is or not cause it was also purchased from New Egg and tomorrow i can send you all of my specs

Aug 31, 2024
Then the issue is more severe. Either Win kernel or hardware.

This is vital, especially PSU specs.

Here is my specs

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12 Core Processor

G .SKILL Triden Z Neo 32 GB of Ram DDR4

NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 TI

SK Hynix Gold P31 M2 SSD 1TB

Samsung SSD 870 EVO 2TB

Samsung SSD 870 QVO 4TB

Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB

Samsung SSD 970 EVO plus 500 GB

Corsair RM Series RM750 750 W ATX 80 PLUS GOLD Power Supply

MSI Mag X570S Tomahawk Max wifi AM4 AMD X570 Sata 6GB/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard.

Hopefully this helps.

Aug 31, 2024
Here is my specs

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12 Core Processor

G .SKILL Triden Z Neo 32 GB of Ram DDR4

SK Hynix Gold P31 M2 SSD 1TB

Samsung SSD 870 EVO 2TB

Samsung SSD 870 QVO 4TB

Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB

Samsung SSD 970 EVO plus 500 GB

MSI Mag X570S Tomahawk Max wifi AM4 AMD X570 Sata 6GB/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard.

Hopefully this helps.
Also I forgot to mention

I have the NZXT Kraken Z73 RGB with LCD display

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Not the best PSU out there but not the worst either. It's a mediocre quality unit.

However, bigger issue is running this with your 750W unit:
RTX 3080 Ti is 350W GPU and it has GPU transient power spikes of 2 - 2.5 times of GPU TDP.

So, to run RTX 3080 Ti, i'd either use:
1000W ATX 2.2 / ATX 2.5 PSU
or
850W ATX 3.0 / ATX 3.1 PSU.

This is needed to create wattage buffer, to soak in GPU transient power spikes. pre-ATX 3.0 PSUs need higher wattage capacity, while post-ATX 3.0 PSUs are already built as such, where they can output double their rated wattage for a short time, to soak in transient power spikes.

What are GPU transient power spikes? A video to watch:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnRyyCsuHFQ

Now, if your issue is hardware, then 1st step would be PSU replacement.
E.g 1kW Seasonic Focus/PRIME, Corsair RMx/RMi/HXi/AXi
or
850W Seasonic Focus ATX 3.0 / Seasonic Vertex or any other by your choosing from here,
link: https://hwbusters.com/best_picks/best-atxv3-pcie5-ready-psus-picks-hardware-busters/4/

All these suggested PSUs are either good or great quality.

Now, new PSU costs money, but issue could be software as well. Since software fixes doesn't cost money, i suggest you try that beforehand.

Since you already established that even in Safe Mode the screen goes black, and if issue is software, then Win kernel has something wrong with it. Only fix: format OS drive and make a new, clean Win installation.

Win10 clean install guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/windows-10-clean-install-tutorial.3170366/
Win11 clean install guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/windows-11-clean-install-tutorial.3831442/

Aug 31, 2024
Not the best PSU out there but not the worst either. It's a mediocre quality unit.

However, bigger issue is running this with your 750W unit:

RTX 3080 Ti is 350W GPU and it has GPU transient power spikes of 2 - 2.5 times of GPU TDP.

So, to run RTX 3080 Ti, i'd either use:
1000W ATX 2.2 / ATX 2.5 PSU
or
850W ATX 3.0 / ATX 3.1 PSU.

This is needed to create wattage buffer, to soak in GPU transient power spikes. pre-ATX 3.0 PSUs need higher wattage capacity, while post-ATX 3.0 PSUs are already built as such, where they can output double their rated wattage for a short time, to soak in transient power spikes.

What are GPU transient power spikes? A video to watch:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnRyyCsuHFQ

Now, if your issue is hardware, then 1st step would be PSU replacement.
E.g 1kW Seasonic Focus/PRIME, Corsair RMx/RMi/HXi/AXi
or
850W Seasonic Focus ATX 3.0 / Seasonic Vertex or any other by your choosing from here,
link: https://hwbusters.com/best_picks/best-atxv3-pcie5-ready-psus-picks-hardware-busters/4/

All these suggested PSUs are either good or great quality.

Now, new PSU costs money, but issue could be software as well. Since software fixes doesn't cost money, i suggest you try that beforehand.

Since you already established that even in Safe Mode the screen goes black, and if issue is software, then Win kernel has something wrong with it. Only fix: format OS drive and make a new, clean Win installation.

Win10 clean install guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/windows-10-clean-install-tutorial.3170366/
Win11 clean install guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/windows-11-clean-install-tutorial.3831442/
I can install a new 1000 watt PSU I do have one I got it not too long ago however I never had the time to actually install it so I might do that this week.

Another thing I should mention is that I had one of those Lian Li GPU RGB cables and when I had that on the Black screens were more atrocious and would happen within seconds.

Now ever since I got rid of it and have the regular GPU cable it still kinda does it? But its not as atrocious.

Maybe that might also help in this situation.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
a new 1000 watt PSU I do have
PSU make and model (or part number) is? Also, how old the PSU is, and was the PSU bought new or used/refurbished?

Since not all PSUs are created equal.

Another thing I should mention is that I had one of those Lian Li GPU RGB cables and when I had that on the Black screens were more atrocious and would happen within seconds.

Now ever since I got rid of it and have the regular GPU cable it still kinda does it? But its not as atrocious.

Maybe that might also help in this situation.
Never use PSU power cable extensions, regardless how pretty the unicorn puke may be. Cable extensions increase ripple and high ripple makes system unstable. Especially when you have OC on CPU/GPU.

So, it could very well be ripple issue.
Though, brand new RM750 has good ripple suppression (review) but your PSU isn't new. As capacitors inside the PSU age, the ripple will get worse. This is especially an issue when the caps aren't top-end to begin with. E.g filtering caps in your PSU are from brands: Elite and Su'scon, while when you'd have good quality RMx PSU, then filtering caps would be: Nippon Chemi-Con (which are good caps). You can see the parts list on the 1st page of the review i linked.

Also, since you increased ripple with cable extensions, all of it got worse. This points towards ripple issue. So, depending what make/model your 1kW unit is, it either gets better or gets worse.