What to upgrade next?

Haydn266

Prominent
Jul 15, 2017
Hey guys, new here! I'm currently playing all of my PC games at 1080p but im wanting to enter the world of 1440p and above.

Before investing in a better monitor I was wondering how well my current rig would handle 1440p or 4k. I do like my games running above 60fps at all times. My specs;

I5 6600k OC 4.3ghz
ROG Strix GTX 1080
16gb 2133mhz DDR4 Ram
1tb HDD

Everything is air cooled.

I'm thinking maybe a better cpu and ssd?

Opinions?

Solution
Really need to know your mobo make and model to validate supported CPU's.

An SSD won't make much difference to gaming FPS, I would instead be looking at your RAM, 2133MHz is pretty slow for Skylake/Kabylake, want to be in the 2666-3200MHz range for good ram scaling. But I would still buy an SSD, it makes other things work that much faster.

The i5-6600K should run the GTX 1080 okay, maybe some minor bottlenecking. When you switch to 1440p it relieve the CPU a bit as the GPU has to work harder and therefore makes less frequent calls to the CPU for pre-rendered information. Also a moderate overclock might help things along as well.

I would find 2x8GB of DDR4 in the 2666-3200 MHz range and get your monitor. If you don't get the...
Really need to know your mobo make and model to validate supported CPU's.

An SSD won't make much difference to gaming FPS, I would instead be looking at your RAM, 2133MHz is pretty slow for Skylake/Kabylake, want to be in the 2666-3200MHz range for good ram scaling. But I would still buy an SSD, it makes other things work that much faster.

The i5-6600K should run the GTX 1080 okay, maybe some minor bottlenecking. When you switch to 1440p it relieve the CPU a bit as the GPU has to work harder and therefore makes less frequent calls to the CPU for pre-rendered information. Also a moderate overclock might help things along as well.

I would find 2x8GB of DDR4 in the 2666-3200 MHz range and get your monitor. If you don't get the results you are looking for then you could consider upgrading the CPU to an i7.

Solution