[SOLVED] what to upgrade next

mason.swedin

Prominent
Jan 21, 2019
my current rig is this. the GPU I just got a few days ago the PSU I got and RMA from my old one a few weeks ago. otherwise most parts are over 2 years old.

case: S340
mobo: MSI Krait edition
cooler: 212 EVO
CPU: I5 4789k
RAM: hyper x fury 16 GB ddr3
GPU: ROG STRIX 580
PSU: Seasonic S12ii 520w
HHD: WD blue 1TB
SSD: ADATA 200 some GB

monitor 1:pretty good 24 inch Viewsoinc 1080p freesync monitor
monitor 2: cheap $100 21.5 inch 1080p asus monitor.

I know next im going to get new RGB case fans with a controller (any suggestions? my current ones never really work correctly. but other then that what should I be looking at to get next

Solution
It's still a solid 1080P gaming system so performance wise there's not much I'd change. Adding in some RGB fans though for some aesthetics/better cooling would be ideal. I really like the Thermaltake Riing RGB fans.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Case Fan: Thermaltake - Riing 12 RGB Triple Pack 40.6 CFM 120mm Fans ($49.92 @ OutletPC)
Total: $49.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-07 09:40 EST-0500

You could do two in the front as intake, maybe mount one on the CPU cooler (move the stock fan to the back of the heatsink) then keep the stock top/rear as exhaust.

WildCard999

Titan
It's still a solid 1080P gaming system so performance wise there's not much I'd change. Adding in some RGB fans though for some aesthetics/better cooling would be ideal. I really like the Thermaltake Riing RGB fans.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Case Fan: Thermaltake - Riing 12 RGB Triple Pack 40.6 CFM 120mm Fans ($49.92 @ OutletPC)
Total: $49.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-07 09:40 EST-0500

You could do two in the front as intake, maybe mount one on the CPU cooler (move the stock fan to the back of the heatsink) then keep the stock top/rear as exhaust.

Solution

mason.swedin

Prominent
Jan 21, 2019

thats the fan system I currently have. its superbad. just looking at the review after I got tons of people have the same issue I do, they say its the controller thats faulty. i dealt with it for years so time to get a new one

I think its close to end of the road, any upgrades will not be worth $ invested.
with 1080p no reason to go higher. (maybe grab another ssd or HDD)
When you will need more power, new mobo will be needed.
still I would wait for 3'rd ryzen series, or even 4'th one as they seem to be a lot of cores (so prices of 6-8 cores will drop)
and that + ddr4/NVME SSD will be major change.

WildCard999

Titan

Well if it's just the controller then maybe swap it to a NZXT or Corsair one maybe?

The only other suggestion I could make is changing your main screen to a 2560/1080P/75hz/IPS/Freesync ultra wide then using your 24" as a secondary monitor. Depending on the game 21:9 gives better immersion and in most games is supported or at the very least there's a fairly easy fix for it. Also your system would handle it well, a 29" 21:9 has pretty much the same vertical height as your 24" monitor too so your setup and the PPI will be very similar.