Question What to upgrade, or just hold tight?

JoeFig44

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2012
Currently playing BG3 and Cyberpunk mostly, but may try out SW Outlaws or Wukong.

I'm in no hurry to upgrade

3900x
4070 Ti
16gb RAM
LG C4 42" OLED

Gaming at 3840x2160p isn't a bad experience right now, but I'm wondering if I'm missing out by upgrading.

Funding isn't an issue, but I'm frugal.

Any advice?

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not worth upgrading unless you really want to crank up the settings. RTX4090 if you want a significant bump.

You could max out the CPU with a 5900x or a 5800X3D if you want to increase 1% lows, but at 4K this would be pretty minor.

32GB of ram would be a cheap upgrade if you are seeing high memory usage.

I would wait and see what Blackwell brings at the least, so another six months or more.

JoeFig44

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2012
Not worth upgrading unless you really want to crank up the settings. RTX4090 if you want a significant bump.

You could max out the CPU with a 5900x or a 5800X3D if you want to increase 1% lows, but at 4K this would be pretty minor.

32GB of ram would be a cheap upgrade if you are seeing high memory usage.

I would wait and see what Blackwell brings at the least, so another six months or more.
What tool can I use while playing to determine if I'm getting high memory usage?

Reactions: artk2219

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
There are quite a few, many will be banned in multiplayer games though (since it draws stuff on the screen)

MSI Afterburner is the most common. Bit of a setup as you get to pick what gets displayed.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_y6KoQe3oQ

You can also just alt tab out to task manager and see what the memory usage looks like from the performance tab. It will capture data for a minute or so.