Question What type of connector is this?

spinnnerrr91

Honorable
Oct 23, 2018
Hello all. Happy Tuesday :)

I bought this cooler for an m.2 SSD a while ago and forgot what this plugs into? I'm pretty sure it's a SATA connection, but I don't want to jam it in just in case it's not.

My Samsung 990 Pro reaches anywhere from 55 C to 61 C at idle! I'm hoping this old cooler will help keep it cool.

Thanks!

spinnnerrr91

Honorable
Oct 23, 2018
doesnt the white plug come out for a 3 or 4 pin mobo connection? does the sata connector offer additional features?
Oh you know what, I think you're right! It's been such a long time since I've used this, I forgot the white plug does come out.

I don't think the SATA connector offers any additional features. I think it was just another option to power it.

Thanks for your eyes :D

Last edited:

spinnnerrr91

Honorable
Oct 23, 2018
Ok just be careful of the voltage. On this item (if same), it says 15 pin 5V SATA. Mobo fan connectors are usually 12V. So it might burn something out. I'll let others comment too since I am not sure.
Yep, that's the same item. I tried taking the white plug out, but it wasn't budging and I didn't want to force it, so I just ended up using the SATA connector.

Take the fan off and see if it is 5V or not.
I took the fan out and it is indeed 5V.

The SSD idles around 46C to 49C now (with the cooler), which is a small improvement, but definitely a lot better than 55C +

Why does my 990 Pro run so hot? I have the OS installed on it, if that makes a difference?, but I also have an SSPUD Meshroom V2 ITX case, so the M.2 slot on front doesn't get much air flow. This is my first 4.0 M.2. Do they run hotter?

On my old build, my 970 EVO idled around 30C. It was also an extended ATX build, so the case had a lot more air flow.

Gururu

Upstanding
Jan 4, 2024
I have the 990 EVO and it shows 34/53 for drive temp 1/2 in HWinfo64. My ambient temp is 22. It would sit under a video card but I don't have one installed at this time. I suppose that could make a difference. Could it be slot location?