[SOLVED] What type of RAM for Ryzen build on ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero?

stlsailor

Honorable
Sep 25, 2017
Hi. It's been 5 years or more since I did my first and only build. I'm putting together a parts list for another as my current machine is having multiple issues and barely outruns poured molasses. I plan to use a Ryzen 3900X processor with an ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard. I want 64GB of memory. The QVL has very limited 64GB memory shown, but I'm thinking that if I have DDR4 288 pin DIMM non-ECC Unbuffered dual channel in a speed that the Mobo supports, then I should be fine. regardless of brand. Is that correct, or do you have other advice? The mobo specs don't list any voltage requirements so I assume that doesn't matter.

I know this overkill for Photoshop but I am planning to use Premiere to do some video editing as well. I don't do gaming.

I'm hoping to purchase this week.

Dale

stlsailor

Honorable
Sep 25, 2017
Get one of the GSkill 3600 C16 4*16Gb in the QVL list.

I intended to build the machine around Christmas but too many components were out of stock. I couldn't find any of the listed memory then so I thought I'd need an alternate brand. Your comment caused me to recheck and NewEgg now has quite a few of them available, so I'll go that route.

Depending on the price, get those with lower timings.

I was getting ready to read up on timings when I got your message. Comparing the 10 items off the list that I found in stock, it appears that there are basically 3 levels of timings available...18-22-22-42, 16-19-19-39, and 16-16-16-36. The mid-level seems to be the sweet spot on price ($300-360 or a bit higher for those who want lights), and the 16-16-16-36 seems to be expensive ($640). While "is it worth it" is an individual question, it would still be useful to know about what difference I could expect running this as a HEDT, quite a bit of Photoshop, and some Premiere machine. Any idea?

F4-3600C16Q-64GTZR or F4-3600C16Q-64GTRG or F4-3600C16Q-64GTRS

Get one of those which ever is cheaper, they are all Samsung B-die and can overclock well if you wanted to one day.
F4-3600C16Q-64GTZR

I couldn't find the GTZR in stock. The other two were $640 and $635. That seems to raise two questions: first, the one above, and second I've read that on the Ryzen 9 3800X 7nm process, overclocking makes a lot less difference than it did on the Intels so what can I expect in difference in order to determine if it justifies the price or not? Also, is it the case that the mid-level ones can't be overclocked well? Any thoughts there?

Thank you for your helpful responses!

Dale

I intended to build the machine around Christmas but too many components were out of stock. I couldn't find any of the listed memory then so I thought I'd need an alternate brand. Your comment caused me to recheck and NewEgg now has quite a few of them available, so I'll go that route.

I was getting ready to read up on timings when I got your message. Comparing the 10 items off the list that I found in stock, it appears that there are basically 3 levels of timings available...18-22-22-42, 16-19-19-39, and 16-16-16-36. The mid-level seems to be the sweet spot on price ($300-360 or a bit higher for those who want lights), and the 16-16-16-36 seems to be expensive ($640). While "is it worth it" is an individual question, it would still be useful to know about what difference I could expect running this as a HEDT, quite a bit of Photoshop, and some Premiere machine. Any idea?

I couldn't find the GTZR in stock. The other two were $640 and $635. That seems to raise two questions: first, the one above, and second I've read that on the Ryzen 9 3800X 7nm process, overclocking makes a lot less difference than it did on the Intels so what can I expect in difference in order to determine if it justifies the price or not? Also, is it the case that the mid-level ones can't be overclocked well? Any thoughts there?

Thank you for your helpful responses!

Dale
Ryzen runs optimal with 3600-3800Mhz RAM. The lower timings of 16-16-16-36 means they are Samsung B-die which can overclock to 3800. But the price difference of double is not worth it as 3600Mhz C16 is already pretty fast.
Get the 16-19-19-39 for 300-360$, again make sure its in the QVL memory compatibility list of your motherboard.

stlsailor

Honorable
Sep 25, 2017
Ryzen runs optimal with 3600-3800Mhz RAM. The lower timings of 16-16-16-36 means they are Samsung B-die which can overclock to 3800. But the price difference of double is not worth it as 3600Mhz C16 is already pretty fast.
Get the 16-19-19-39 for 300-360$, again make sure its in the QVL memory compatibility list of your motherboard.

Thanks for that information. The list of the ten items I put together was done by searching NewEgg for the parts numbers listed on the QVL so that should all match. But a good reminder.

I see value in getting RAM that is on the QVL. I'm not sure whether that would be true with the video card or NVMe M.2 SSD since I think they're standardized on the bus type though the NVMe would need the form factor shown on the mobo specs.. And the QVL has a lot of stuff on it that should make no difference at all, such as USB keyboards and mice. Trying not to broaden this question unreasonably, but beyond the RAM, is there anything for which I should definitely be looking carefully at the QVL?

Again, thanks for some very helpful information!

Reactions: Zizo007

stlsailor

Honorable
Sep 25, 2017
As I'm sitting down ordering the components, reviewing the thread caused me to see that I'd never thanked you for the last reply. All the information has been extremely helpful and appreciated.

Reactions: Zizo007