What type of screwdriver to use while building a PC?

jwall5352

Reputable
Mar 14, 2014
Is a magnetic one safe to use?

I don't think using a regular screwdriver would be very easy to use to get the screws on the motherboard and I will be building this computer in about 3 hours so any suggestions?

Thanks!

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
I'm not a fan of using anything magnetized inside my PC. Others will swear up and down that it's not a problem, but I just don't take the risk. (Same thing with using an anti-static band.)

If your screwdriver is the right size, it will often "grip" the screw long enough to get it in place, I've found. Also, *tiny* drop of white glue (like Elmers) on the screwhead for getting into really tight spots works.

jwall5352

Reputable
Mar 14, 2014
I'm going to microcenter soon today, and it seems as though the only magnetic one they carry is this-

Eclipse Enterprise
20-in-1 Telescoping Magnetic Screwdriver

Would this suffice if these are safe for PC building?

I usually have no issue using a non magnetic screw driver, but there are times when you might drop a screw and it's a pain in the ass to grab. If you have a magnetic one I would use it, makes it just that much easier and you shouldn't damage anything.

I guess I am the opposite of the previous poster because I have never used an anti static wrist band, just make sure you are not assembling on carpet and ground your self to a large metal object every so often.