Honorable
Oct 2, 2014
My current build is:
pentium g4560
H110M PRO VH Plus
HD7770 1Gb
2x8gb ram

I cant decide on what upgrade to buy.
I'm planning on buying a gtx 1650 super or just upgrade my CPU to ryzen 3300x. or should i get the 3400g and just use the integrated graphics?
I can play casual games(league of legends, csgo) in med-high settings. I also play games like witcher3, gtaV but in low settings. its playable for me but I can feel my pc is struggling just to run these games. I dont mind playing in medium settings as long as it is playable. I also do programming, run Vms and android emulator

Solution
Why GPU? do you think its better to hold on my g4560? is this cpu still powerful and can handle the task i mentioned above? I really cant decide. and i forgot to say that my HD7770 is very old and it may break down any time i guess? i got it 2nd hand
Upgrading gpu will give you better gaming results now, if by a slight margin above a new cpu.

If you upgrade cpu and mobo, you will get less performance today, but have a way better upgrade path for the future.
a 1650 super and a 3300X will give a much MUCH MUCH MUCH better computer, but thats assuming youre willing to put that kind of cache in.
the 3400g is a waste of money, locking upgrade path unless swapping cpu again.

your gpu is actually "decent" (even overkill) for league and csgo, but is actually, pretty (actually very) pinner for gta and witcher.

if you ask me, get the new cpu and mobo, since it will give you a bit of performance today, and an upgrade path for the future, then upgrade the gpu in a year, or whenever you feel like it for a big performance boost.

Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If you think you need a stronger cpu, here is a list of the upgrades your motherboard supports:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/H110M-PRO-VH-PLUS#support-cpu
Your current G4560 has 4 threads and a passmark rating of 3562. That is when all 4 threads are fully utilized.
The single thread rating is 2778. Games such as CSGO are lightly threaded, making single thread performance most important for them.
The i7-7700K is your strongest cpu upgrade with 8 threads and a passmark rating of 9722/2778.
It sells for about $300 on ebay. I do not recommend this upgrade unless you can steal one.
If you want to do better, you will need to go to a current gen ryzen or intel processor as well as a new motherboard.
I recently upgraded a pc for my son with a i3-10100 which has 8 threads, performs the same as the 7700K and costs $130. It is quick. The turbo kicks in instantly.
A 1200 series motherboard will cost about $70.

If you need a stronger graphics card, something like a GTX1650 super would be in the $170 ballpark.

Reactions: Rdslw

chupulito

Honorable
Oct 2, 2014
Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If you think you need a stronger cpu, here is a list of the upgrades your motherboard supports:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/H110M-PRO-VH-PLUS#support-cpu
Your current G4560 has 4 threads and a passmark rating of 3562. That is when all 4 threads are fully utilized.
The single thread rating is 2778. Games such as CSGO are lightly threaded, making single thread performance most important for them.
The i7-7700K is your strongest cpu upgrade with 8 threads and a passmark rating of 9722/2778.
It sells for about $300 on ebay. I do not recommend this upgrade unless you can steal one.
If you want to do better, you will need to go to a current gen ryzen or intel processor as well as a new motherboard.
I recently upgraded a pc for my son with a i3-10100 which has 8 threads, performs the same as the 7700K and costs $130. It is quick. The turbo kicks in instantly.
A 1200 series motherboard will cost about $70.

If you need a stronger graphics card, something like a GTX1650 super would be in the $170 ballpark.
Thanks for the tip! What ryzen cpu can you suggest? And for the intel, can i just reuse my current motherboard and just upgrade the cpu?

Thanks for the tip! What ryzen cpu can you suggest? And for the intel, can i just reuse my current motherboard and just upgrade the cpu?

What is your budget?

You are limited on cpu upgrades for your motherboard to the list I linked to above.
The strongest would be a i7-7700K.
The problem is that the 7700K is still such a good processor that it still fetches about $300 used.
I do not recommend that option unless changing out your motherboard would cause a problem with windows activation.
You can not install a ryzen processor on your current motherboard, nor can you install a 8th, 9th nor 10th gen intel processor on your current motherboard.

CPU and motherboard replacement is cheaper and performs better

Ryzen is very popular on these forums.
But, I am not so hot on ryzen for the gamer.
Intel cores are faster, and that is generally what a gamer needs.
Few games make effective use of more than perhaps 6 threads.
Anecdotally, I think I see more issues with ryzen than with Intel.
Particularly on ram and bios related issues.

chupulito

Honorable
Oct 2, 2014
a 1650 super and a 3300X will give a much MUCH MUCH MUCH better computer, but thats assuming youre willing to put that kind of cache in.
the 3400g is a waste of money, locking upgrade path unless swapping cpu again.

your gpu is actually "decent" (even overkill) for league and csgo, but is actually, pretty (actually very) pinner for gta and witcher.

if you ask me, get the new cpu and mobo, since it will give you a bit of performance today, and an upgrade path for the future, then upgrade the gpu in a year, or whenever you feel like it for a big performance boost.
Thanks for the advise! Do you have any suggestion other than 3300x? or can you suggest a motherboard to partner with that CPU? I live in the Philippines and prices here are quite high. my budget is 200-250 for the upgrade.

chupulito

Honorable
Oct 2, 2014
What is your budget?

You are limited on cpu upgrades for your motherboard to the list I linked to above.
The problem is that the 7700K is still such a good processor that it still fetches about $300 used.
I do not recommend that option unless changing out your motherboard would cause a problem with windows activation.
You can not install a ryzen processor on your current motherboard, nor can you install a 8th, 9th nor 10th gen intel processor on your current motherboard.

I live in the Philippines and prices here are quite high. my budget is 200-250 for the upgrade.

Thanks for the advise! Do you have any suggestion other than 3300x? or can you suggest a motherboard to partner with that CPU? I live in the Philippines and prices here are quite high. my budget is 200-250 for the upgrade.
We'll they also have the 3100, which has 4 core 8 threads just like the 3300X, but with lower clocks for 20$ less.
(3100-100$, 3300X 120$)
but lower clocks - worse for games.
the 3300X is the best bang for the buck for gamers.
there is no lower tier current gen cpu

The ryzen 3 1200AF could be a good deal if they sell it where you live
(not the ryzen 3 1200. the AF version.)
Its worse for gaming, but it usually sells for around 75-80$ while still being a 4 core part.

As for what motherboard, b450 is the best bang for buck, and any b450 board with the features you need and in the right size will be good. b550 is better, but it just launched and its launching price is just way too high.

As for intel, yes you can also get an i3 10100, but it will cost more, and the mobo will cost more, and it will perform about the same as a 3300X.

What is your budget?

I agree, intel is more stable, a better platform and more userfriendly.
but you cant argue with pricing and performance, upgrade path and support.

overclocking support on B series boards, overclocking support on all cpus, better cpus on the higher end, and better, more aggressive pricing on lower ends, better multicore performance and less power consumption+less heat.

The i9 10900k, the top end 10 core chip, is barely above the ryzen 9 3900X 12 core in performance.
costing at minimum 100 dollars more, with availability being non existent.
while amd still has the 3950x, a 16 core that wipes the floor with intels 18 core extreme edition 10980XE, and threadripper which...
ouch.

If intel can push back and have actual competitive performance, and not be jerks.
(did you hear that they locked memory speeds to 2666 on all non z boards for i3 and i5???
what year is it? 2016???)
they can win my heart back.

i still rock an i7 8700k, from when amd wasnt that good for gaming.
nowadays the difference is so minimal, going intel aint worth it.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
My current build is:
pentium g4560
H110M PRO VH Plus
HD7770 1Gb
2x8gb ram

I cant decide on what upgrade to buy.
I'm planning on buying a gtx 1650 super or just upgrade my CPU to ryzen 3300x. or should i get the 3400g and just use the integrated graphics?
I can play casual games(league of legends, csgo) in med-high settings. I also play games like witcher3, gtaV but in low settings. its playable for me but I can feel my pc is struggling just to run these games. I dont mind playing in medium settings as long as it is playable. I also do programming, run Vms and android emulator
I would upgrade the video card first then see how you like the performance.

The 7770 is very old and the 1650 super is about 3X better.

chupulito

Honorable
Oct 2, 2014
I would upgrade the video card first then see how you like the performance.

The 7770 is very old and the 1650 super is about 3X better.
Why GPU? do you think its better to hold on my g4560? is this cpu still powerful and can handle the task i mentioned above? I really cant decide. and i forgot to say that my HD7770 is very old and it may break down any time i guess? i got it 2nd hand

Last edited:
Upgrading gpu will give you better gaming results now, if by a slight margin above a new cpu.

If you upgrade cpu and mobo, you will get less performance today, but have a way better upgrade path for the future.

Solution