[SOLVED] What upgrades do I need??? UPDATED!!

ItsEvap

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014
Hello Christmas is comin up and I need to know what upgrades I need for my PC. my current issue right now is i cant run that many programs without my computer getting super loud then crashing so maybe a nice cpu. Ive been looking for one but im not sure what one is best or what one is even compatible. Currently i have a AMD FX(tm)-8320 8 core 3.50ghz
I have a MSI motherboard and a msi radeon r9 270x grapgics card.
10gb ram and 8.96 usable
64 bit
2 sticks of corsair vengence 1 off brand stick

So basically my question is what do I need to make my computer more beastly.
this case is an NZXT phantom red
i have a few fans could it be possible i need more since my fans get super loud right before my PC crashes?

UPDATE:
Will this be better than my current GPU??
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIABRD5F15380&Description=msi%20gtx%201080&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=msi_gtx_1080-_-9SIABRD5F15380-_-Product

Thanks it advance, Matt

Solution
You could use an upgrade in everything really, having that single random stick is pretty much useless, I would remove it and just run the Corsair RAM in dual channel mode.

To upgrade the CPU you would need to upgrade the motherboard and replace the RAM. What is the brand and model of the power supply?

System could be crashing due to power issues or overheating. When was the last time you cleaned out the system and re-applied the thermal paste to CPU heatsink? Doing that may fix the crashing issue (and getting rid of that single RAM stick which is probably doing nothing good for the system at all). Check to see what fans rev up before the crash, maybe it's the video card and not the computer itself.
You could use an upgrade in everything really, having that single random stick is pretty much useless, I would remove it and just run the Corsair RAM in dual channel mode.

To upgrade the CPU you would need to upgrade the motherboard and replace the RAM. What is the brand and model of the power supply?

System could be crashing due to power issues or overheating. When was the last time you cleaned out the system and re-applied the thermal paste to CPU heatsink? Doing that may fix the crashing issue (and getting rid of that single RAM stick which is probably doing nothing good for the system at all). Check to see what fans rev up before the crash, maybe it's the video card and not the computer itself.

Solution

ItsEvap

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014

I have a hybrid series 750 power supply and an msi 970 gaming motherboard

ItsEvap

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014

so this could boost my performance and maybe reduce crashes?

Do you mean Raidmax brand Hybrid or something else? Raidmax is not a good quality power supply brand.

ItsEvap

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014

it is an ULTRA professional

If the brand is Ultra, get rid of that and get a good quality one, Corsair CXM is good, and I like the current deals with rebates on the SeaSonic M12Ii models. If you don't mind doing a rebate card, this is $40 after $20 rebate https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817151093

Clan out the system get rid of that random single RAM stick, get a good quality power supply and see how things run then. If it still crashes, at least you will have a good quality PSU to build on.

ItsEvap

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014

i honestly had no clue a power supply had any affrect on the performance but now i know. Is there any other things i can install/replace> I dont have a budget really just nothing over the top. I want to be able to run the new fallout game atatleast 60fps

Performance, no, but reliability yes, and it's a huge factor in how reliable a system is. If you don't have good power to the system you can not only have random crashes you can damage other components.

ItsEvap

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014

yea its defiantly something I am going to do but Im also just looking for some hardware upgrades as well

ItsEvap

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014

im super confused on the power supply. My power supply now has a peak W at 750. the one you linked was way less

ItsEvap

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014

Okay but what card can I get to be comparable with the rest of my system?

I doubt your power supply will have the same output as the one I linked reliably, you don't need a 750W one, 500W is fine for what you have now and for sure will be enough for a more modern system. Compare the 12V amps between your system and the one I linked, I would bet they are very close. Just a wattage number on a power supply does not mean anything, cheap power supplies often over-state their power output but a large margin and also have other issues.

The gtx 1060 3gb draws less power than the r9 270x and only requires one 6 pin psu connector. His existing power supply does not need to be replaced because it is working, unless taking out the suspect memory chip does not resolve his problem. Then yes, id agree to replace the power supply to see if that solves his problem. However if it were me and I was in his scenario, I would not invest anymore time and money into that system because of how much it lacks in the performance category and how old it is.

Replacing the power supply won't do any damage at all, and is easily moved to another system. In fact it's the one core thing of the system that is good to replace now due to the low quality of the existing one. PSU is the core of the computer, can't build a solid system on junk. There is no wasted money there at all, it will be good to use now, and good to use in another system.

ItsEvap

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014

link me the 1060
and you are sure it is compatible??

I never said replacing the power supply would be damaging. I would first try to find out if the power supply is the cause for his problems after checking the memory, because I would not want to move a defective power supply to another build.

ItsEvap

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014

Also kinda confused on how my system is old. I have no clue what makes a part modern or not.

It's because your system is dated to 6 years ago and the new AMD Ryzen processors came out about a 1.5 years ago. Here is a huge evolutionary performance increase between your system and a Ryzen system.

ItsEvap

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014

Ok tell me how to incorporate a new ryzen cpu and 1060 into my system. I have no clue on the compatibility issues.