What Video game OST do you think is the best in the world?

Alex_60

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
There is an important element in every videogame we know that makes it unique. Distant from graphic experience, storytelling, script and gameplay, the music plays an important role in gaming experience; role that we, normally tend to relegate to a secondary level of importance. However, music is the key to complete the atmosphere of the gaming experience.

This is why I ask to the whole community which is the best OST you have ever heard?

Please comment!

Dane Bouwer

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
well, at the end of Dragon Age: Origins, you'll hear the awesome sound track from :
30 Seconds to Mars: This is War... just a brilliant ending.... when the credits start to role... great ending to a brilliant game!!

Dane

I collect game music as a hobby; my collection must be 600+ songs by now, and that's just the stuff I like...

Hard to pick a single favourite, but my vote would have to go to Frank Klepacki's awesome work in the Command & Conquer and Dune franchises. Crusader: No Remorse / No Regret gets an honourable mention.

devil hunter

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Some people like to play War games and some people like to play adventure games and some people like car/bike games. every thing depend on the interest of the person.

not possible to decide which one is best :)

johnxfire

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
I really enjoyed the soundtracks of The Sims and most of its expansions, SimCity 4 and SimCity 4 Rush Hour. Jerry Martin did excellent work in there. The Sims 2 also had good music, especially in Seasons. I liked the theme in that one.

fisch

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
Hate to repeat the obvious FFVII was very poignant. I have been listening to it for years. I mean come on, it has been performed for the public in concert and remixed into s****y dance music. FFVIII had some great music but also some very annoying music. I love FFVIIIs opening theme! I am no expert but it has always seemed that the work and usefulness of music in the FF series was unrivaled but what do I know :).

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007

Well, speaking of your Avatar, Diablo II has an amazing sound track. Right away when you hear a specific song you can picture yourself in that act in that zone.

Alex_60

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah! I love the music of Lut Gholein... but I still prefer Diablo 1 OST as a whole!

Aoyagi

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
I agree with Diablo. Plus I would add Morrowind, because the music is just epic, so is the music of Demigod. Then I remember music from FFVIII, which was pretty good too (yeah, I haven't played VII). A bit different kind of sort would be Lineage 2. Then there is Neverwinter Nights (all of them). Oh and Haegemonia, I couldn't forget that.

Best of best would be Morrowind, for me.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Anyone that really likes video game music should check out The Dwelling of Duels. A bunch of game fans basically get together and remix various games in the form of monthly competitions. Been listening to them since late 2004. Some of my favorite remixers on there are Ailsean, Goat, Ryan8bit, and Virt. The only reason i ever found the site in the first place is when I was looking up more stuff for TheMiniBosses. Anyway, the main site is down at the moment ( dod.vgmix.com ), but there a few backups around.
http://dod.redheadedblacksheep.net/past.php has most of the older stuff
http://dod.bossies.org/ has mainly the newer stuff.
Hope everyone enjoys the music!

Alex_60

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010

Great contribution! thank you! Surely I'll be checking that!

Jack_Cookie

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
Nobuo Uematsu (sp?), the mind behind much of Final Fantasy's music, has done some pretty amazing stuff, namely FF VII. He really changed the idea of video game music and how good it could be, for me anyways. But my favourite FF moment is in FFX with the cutscene involving Sin, Aaron, and a sick Metal/Rock song, when Zanarkand is getting messed up, I still remember it clearly and the goosebumps it gave me practically 10 years ago.

That and a definite honourable mention is the Beyond Good and Evil game, soundtrack took that game from good to awesome.