[SOLVED] What vpn routers should i buy from target? $800 budget.

Feb 27, 2020
I have $800 in target gift cards. Whats the fastest routers i can install a vpn on for online streaming and a bit of online gaming i can buy from target?

Solution
The vast majority of routers you will only get 20-30mbps of vpn throughput. They are being limited by the CPU. To get really fast vpn performance you are better off buying a small pc and putting a extra nic card in it and run one of the free linux router images. It does not have to be anything real special unless you are trying to get gigabit speeds.

What is needed is called crypto accelerator. Most modern CPU support a special set of instructions called aes-ni. Intel started putting this in some I3 chipsets and later.

Router this feature is very rare on consumer models. Commercial equipment is out of even your $800 price point in most cases.

There is a cpu for routers that I know has this feature made by broadcom...
The vast majority of routers you will only get 20-30mbps of vpn throughput. They are being limited by the CPU. To get really fast vpn performance you are better off buying a small pc and putting a extra nic card in it and run one of the free linux router images. It does not have to be anything real special unless you are trying to get gigabit speeds.

What is needed is called crypto accelerator. Most modern CPU support a special set of instructions called aes-ni. Intel started putting this in some I3 chipsets and later.

Router this feature is very rare on consumer models. Commercial equipment is out of even your $800 price point in most cases.

There is a cpu for routers that I know has this feature made by broadcom. The most common router that uses it is the asus rt-ac86u. There are some netgear routers that also have the hardware but the last time I checked the vpn software in the router does not use it. Not 100% sure if the factory firmware form asus does either it is fully supported by the merlin image which also has much better vpn features.

Still this cpu is nothing compared to a actual cpu. You might get 200mbps on this router.

Be aware vpn is much more complex it depends on which actual encoding you are using the accelerator function only works on certain (although the most common) forms of AES encryption.

You best option for a powerful vpn box is to buy a small pc and build your own. It will still be well under your $800 because you can use on cpu video and need very little ram/disk/memory as well as no dedicated monitor/keyboard/mouse.

Last edited:
Solution