Question What was the first video game you remember playing?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 5, 2022
Oh, shoot. It's hard to tell. I vividly remember watching my dad play. I think it was Half Life. Probably the first thing I played was Stalker: The Call of Pripyat. Or GTA San Andreas. Oh, those were good times. And now I play everything. Even online bingo, can you imagine? I never would have thought of that before.

Last edited by a moderator:

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
I'm an avid gamer, but I've been trying to think of the first games I remember playing and really loved. I remember sneaking into my cousins dad's study to boot up his mac to play Monkey Island, where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? And Myst (which I wasn't very good at). If you're a gamer, what do you remember playing and why?

18j3c02jvs111jpg.jpg
At first I said Pole Position arcade. But in the early 70's I played star Trek at Stanford Linear accelerator Center were my job was located for 34 years.. Try that in today's world!. Anyway I believe it was Unix and complicated. You had to input in text of course and space coordinates. Analog rotary dial 150 baud modem modem (maybe). It's only been 50 years or so.
Living large at SLAC all! LoL.. https://www6.slac.stanford.edu/

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
I can't remember, and even if I could, I won't be able to remember the title.

The earliest game I can remember is this "spaceship" game where you fly a battleship through hordes of enemies, collecting power ups in the process. It's like Metal Slug, but in space. It was played from a top-down perspective.

I also recall another game, a 3D aerial combat game (but not Ace Combat), with realistic (for the time) planes. Again, my memory is spotty, but some of the bossfight levels included battling a MGS3 Shagohod-like tank in a desert, and stopping a rocket (or was it an ICBM) mid-flight by dismantling it. I'm still sour that I never got to reach the final level. It was a Japanese game, and the entire menu language was in Japanese.

There was also another one that my father used to play on his Windows 98 (or was it 95) PC. Some kind of point-and-click army "simulator?" You play as a group of army, like green berets, infiltrating enemy compounds stealthily using a variety of weapons and tools. I was too scared to play the actual campaign because well, you could die, so I stick to playing the tutorial levels over and over again. My sweetest memory of that game was killing one (yes, ONE) grunt enemy on the first level of the campaign using a bear trap. I was so proud of myself that I wanted to show that world-shattering achievement to my dad I left the PC running all day waiting for him to be back from work, only to realise the game had a time limit. By the time he was back all I could show was the main menu.

My first console was the PS1. Growing up being a fan of rallying I was naturally inclined towards racing game. I can't remember the first racing game I've played, but I do played the heck out of first two Gran Turismo and R4 (Ridge Racer Type 4). I still play R4 regularly today, that game is, simply put, timeless.

Insaniquarium
I don't know if it was the first game I played but I sure loved it I remember it so well

Insaniquarium was (and still is) one of the most defining games in my life. I'm sure I've sunk hundreds of hours into that game despite its simplistic nature. I was such a big fan of that game young me managed to create an entirely new imaginative world based on that game. Good times.

Reactions: Tac 25
Status
Not open for further replies.