[SOLVED] What was the max amout of RAM supported by old DDR2 motherboards?

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
Kind of a general question. I was browsing for RAM for older systems and noticed that DDR2 memory seemed to be limited to 4GB sticks and less. I couldn't find an 8GB stick of DDR2 except for server RAM. Did boards from that era not support any more than 8GB total?

Solution
During that time almost everyone ran a 32bit operating system/processors.Which limited you to 4 gig total ram address space.
So motherboard chip-sets were designed to only support 4 gig total.

with devices on the motherboard, hard drive cache etc....taking up memory addresses 3-3.25 gig was the maximum memory a system could support.
So besides servers with 64bit systems , 2 gig modules were all that was needed.
Many systems came with 3 gig . A 2 gig and 1 gig stick.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
from what i recall 4 gb sticks was a large as they got at the time. more often than not 8gb was the max if you used 4 sticks!! 4 x 2 gb was the norm.

much easier back then to run 4 sticks easily. mix and match was no big deal then.

man i miss those days

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
from what i recall 4 gb sticks was a large as they got at the time. more often than not 8gb was the max if you used 4 sticks!! 4 x 2 gb was the norm.

much easier back then to run 4 sticks easily. mix and match was no big deal then.

man i miss those days
You and me both! This stuff seemed a whole lot more fun back then. Remember the single core days... when AMD always did better than Intel in gaming? Things began to change for Intel when dual cores arrived, tho.

As to my original question, I was trying to remember if the memory limitation was due to older16 bit processors' 4GB max or older Windows OS.

During that time almost everyone ran a 32bit operating system/processors.Which limited you to 4 gig total ram address space.

with devices on the motherboard, hard drive cache etc....taking up memory addresses 3-3.25 gig was the maximum memory a system could support.

Solution

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012

That's it. I forgot about the 32-bit limitation back then. Thank you.