What was 'your' arcade called?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hillbilly Harolds Outhouse Arcade

--

-Frank Gant
http://orbitpinball.com

<rwkeown@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> The recently posted classic arcade pics got me thinking again about my
> favorite place to burn quarters as a kid. It was called Funway
> Freeway. They always had at least 6 pins in excellent shape. The
> techs really must have known what they were doing, as I never recall a
> game being dirty or less then fully functional. Wonder what those
> guys are doing now....
>
> Cheers!!
> Bob

Rifle Sport, SS Billiards. LTG :)

<rwkeown@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> The recently posted classic arcade pics got me thinking again about my
> favorite place to burn quarters as a kid. It was called Funway
> Freeway. They always had at least 6 pins in excellent shape. The
> techs really must have known what they were doing, as I never recall a
> game being dirty or less then fully functional. Wonder what those
> guys are doing now....
>
> Cheers!!
> Bob

SS Billiards

Bryan (CARGPB14) http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/bspins

"Warning! Achtung! Run away, Run away!: BK restorations may emit a
shower of sparks or flames or both. Keep a safe distance (like four
city blocks). Never return to a restoration once lit. Hot hot hot!"

(Sig line compliments of Clive at the Coin-Op Cauldron.)

rwkeown@yahoo.com wrote:
> The recently posted classic arcade pics got me thinking again about my
> favorite place to burn quarters as a kid. It was called Funway
> Freeway. They always had at least 6 pins in excellent shape. The
> techs really must have known what they were doing, as I never recall a
> game being dirty or less then fully functional. Wonder what those
> guys are doing now....
>
> Cheers!!
> Bob

Scott

Bowling Alleys, Grand Prix & Putt-Putt Golf Course were "destination"
sites on the weekends.

But 90% of the time we could be found in BARRELS OF FUN in the Westland
Mall on wide-wide Dixie Highway in Louisville KY.

My first memories of pinball were getting my haircut as a 4 year old
child (in a REAL barbershop) and playing the EM they had there - the
old style with the shelf built into the cabinet where I could put my
bottle of Pepsi on it. I also remember being mesmorized by EIGHT BALL
when it came out - I played the heck out of one in a WOOLWORTHs for a
whole summer - the mom couldn't figure out why I ALWAYS wanted to go
with her when she went grocery shopping at the strip mall where the
Woolworths was located!

Alladins Castle at North Kent Mall in Grand Rapids. Both are gone but
that's where I got the bug and got hooked on Medusa and High Speed. Now
own both of them and 8 others.
Tom

Aquidneck Lanes
Middletown R.I.
Had about 15 pins
2 pool tables
2 air hockey tables
NO VIDEO GAMES (till 80)

That was my home court

Ctsteps5

owner of
71 Bally Expressway, 72 Williams Superstar,
74 Williams Star Pool, 75 Gottlieb Fast Draw.

Moderator of EM Pinball Group
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/empinbalmachines/

Ray Johnson - Action Pinball wrote:
> We had:
>
> The "Gold Mine"
> The "Fun Factory"
> "Alladin's Castle"
>
> and long ago (EM days): The "Fun of It"
>
> All in the malls of course...
>
> Outside of the malls were:
> "Wally's Arcade"
> "Pirate's Cove" (or may have been "Treasure Cove"- pirate/sea themed arcade)
>
> That's all I can remember right off...
>
> In my early teen years I used to keep a list of all the pins in all of the
> arcades around our area- I think I still have it- I'll have to dig it out
> and scan/post it- would be neat to see.
>
> I kept it in one of the private-school-issued notebooks I had in 3rd or 4th
> grade- which I'm sure I still have somewhere (half the book is lessons in
> French and the other is lists and drawings of pinball machines... ;) I was
> an over-achiever....
>
> Ray J.
> --
> Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
> Salt Lake City, Utah USA
> Web: www.actionpinball.com
>
> We're serious about pinball. Anything else is just for fun!
>

> <rwkeown@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > The recently posted classic arcade pics got me thinking again about my
> > favorite place to burn quarters as a kid. It was called Funway
> > Freeway. They always had at least 6 pins in excellent shape. The
> > techs really must have known what they were doing, as I never recall a
> > game being dirty or less then fully functional. Wonder what those
> > guys are doing now....
> >
> > Cheers!!
> > Bob

BillG

Distinguished
May 31, 2004

Games People Play at the Memorial City Mall in Houston, TX. In the
late 70's I pumped many quarters into that place. The entrance had a
row of 20+ pins (Space Mission, Evel Knievel, Captain Fantastic,
Wizard, etc.) and in the back were the video games. Great memories!

billg

Anyone else spend summers on LBI, NJ at Shermats?

Jack James

rwkeown@yahoo.com wrote:
> The recently posted classic arcade pics got me thinking again about my
> favorite place to burn quarters as a kid. It was called Funway
> Freeway. They always had at least 6 pins in excellent shape. The
> techs really must have known what they were doing, as I never recall a
> game being dirty or less then fully functional. Wonder what those
> guys are doing now....
>
> Cheers!!
> Bob

As a teenager in Stone Mountain, GA, circa 1979, there was a great
place called
OZ Records and Tapes on Memorial Drive. A large record store that had
this huge arcade in the back (and head shop for a short while). They
had at least 30-40 pins lining the walls and all the newest vids at the
time. I spent a fortune in this place and got to play all the classic
Williams games when they came out. Great memories.

I worked at Kroger, and there was a little place called Mike's
Billiards in the same strip mall. They had a Gorgar, that I loved.

Another place I liked was Goldmine at Northlake Mall. And the movie
theaters and bowling alleys always had pins, but OZ was where the seed
was planted.

Dave

Yes Ray, that is the same company I worked for. Nickels and Dimes Inc
ran the Goldmines for many years. Then they changed to Tilt. I honestly
didn't even know if they were still in business. I actually started as
a part timer, moved to asst manager and then to manager of the arcade.
Many nights of doing college work and handing out change. Learned a lot
about fixing pins and vids. Prefer the pins since I hate the high
voltage on the vids. :)

Doug

Ray Johnson - Action Pinball wrote:
> Our "Goldmine" here eventually changed to a "Tilt", too- which was owned/run
> by "Nickels & Dimes, Inc.". Not sure if Goldmine was part of N&D or not.
> They did take good care of the games- and still do (the one Tilt that is
> left around here- 3 have closed in the last year). But don't take as good
> care as they used to. At least *someone* cared out there at some point! :)
>
> Ray J.
> --
> Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
> Salt Lake City, Utah USA
> Web: www.actionpinball.com
>
> We're serious about pinball. Anything else is just for fun!
>

> "Kansas Pinball" <cyberolds1@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > While going to college in Houston, I worked at a gameroom called The
> > Goldmine. As time went on, the name changed to Tilt. While working
> > there, we had a strict regiment of cleaning that we had to follow. That
> > included cleaning all rubbers on pins until we deemed a replacement was
> > needed. It followed that we also had to clean all vids by taking the
> > control panel off, lift out the glass and clean the glass and tube. We
> > used to have very good pins and I think that part of my life is what
> > made me love pins so much.
> >
> > Doug

Sherrie's Rack-N-Cue in Mentor-On-The-Lake, Ohio in the mid to late
'70's. Me and my buddies weren't old enough to get in, being that it
was a pool hall and served beer, but the guys runnin' it were cool
enough to let the 4 or 5 of us come in and play the pins.

All the 7-11s around us also had 1 or 2 pins in them as well.

MAN! Those were the good old days. GREAT memories but a bit sad that
those days are so far gone.

Tim

We had:

The "Gold Mine"
The "Fun Factory"
"Alladin's Castle"

and long ago (EM days): The "Fun of It"

All in the malls of course...

Outside of the malls were:
"Wally's Arcade"
"Pirate's Cove" (or may have been "Treasure Cove"- pirate/sea themed arcade)

That's all I can remember right off...

In my early teen years I used to keep a list of all the pins in all of the
arcades around our area- I think I still have it- I'll have to dig it out
and scan/post it- would be neat to see.

I kept it in one of the private-school-issued notebooks I had in 3rd or 4th
grade- which I'm sure I still have somewhere (half the book is lessons in
French and the other is lists and drawings of pinball machines... ;) I was
an over-achiever....

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Web: www.actionpinball.com

<rwkeown@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> The recently posted classic arcade pics got me thinking again about my
> favorite place to burn quarters as a kid. It was called Funway
> Freeway. They always had at least 6 pins in excellent shape. The
> techs really must have known what they were doing, as I never recall a
> game being dirty or less then fully functional. Wonder what those
> guys are doing now....
>
> Cheers!!
> Bob

Our "Goldmine" here eventually changed to a "Tilt", too- which was owned/run
by "Nickels & Dimes, Inc.". Not sure if Goldmine was part of N&D or not.
They did take good care of the games- and still do (the one Tilt that is
left around here- 3 have closed in the last year). But don't take as good
care as they used to. At least *someone* cared out there at some point! :)

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Web: www.actionpinball.com

"Kansas Pinball" <cyberolds1@comcast.net> wrote in message
> While going to college in Houston, I worked at a gameroom called The
> Goldmine. As time went on, the name changed to Tilt. While working
> there, we had a strict regiment of cleaning that we had to follow. That
> included cleaning all rubbers on pins until we deemed a replacement was
> needed. It followed that we also had to clean all vids by taking the
> control panel off, lift out the glass and clean the glass and tube. We
> used to have very good pins and I think that part of my life is what
> made me love pins so much.
>
> Doug

I also remember the "Library" in Davis, CA- had a friend that went to
college there a few years back- the place may even still be there. Lots of
great games- really cool arcade- even for the 1990's.

Very low-profile inconspicvovs looking bvsiness- one glass door on the
street as I recall and some tinted-ovt windows. And a small back-lit sign
over the door reading "LIBRARY" in blve letters with white backgrovnd. I can
jvst see the kids' parents- "Where have yov been all day?"

"At the Library!"

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amvsement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA

We're seriovs abovt pinball. Anything else is jvst for fvn!

<fred.collins@gmail.com> wrote in message

> I grew vp in Northern Virginia and there was a place called "Time Ovt"
> that was located in Springfield mall. I was there in the late 1970s.
> Pins, early video games like Tempest, Space Invaders, Galaga. It was
> very large with classic black light illvmination. In Blacksbvrg
> Virginia, the Virginia Tech Stvdent Union bvilding had an entire wall
> of pins. This was all in the 1979 to 1982 time frame.

A few great ones in Lincoln / Omaha Nebraska area.

1) Pinball Pete's. 4 locations with all the classics and especially
old Stern
West O street, Cotner Blvd., Arapahoe, HWY 2. I worked for this
company for 3 years. That is how I learned about the games. We
rotated all of the games through these locations. Great stuff.
We definitely were the first to have Medusa, FireballII, Eight Ball
Deluxe, Skateball, StarGazer

2) Red Baron in Gateway Mall in Lincoln - Huge.
First to have Flash, Gorgar, Firepower and Panthera

3) Game Gallery - Downtown Lincoln
First to have 4 player football, Seawitch, Quicksilver and Cheetah

4) Snooker Bowling Alley on 48th Street - Huge Arcade - First ot have
Space Invaders and Centaur

5) Hollywood Bowling Alley on 48th Street - First to have Missle
command.

6) Sluggo's in East Park Plaza - Friends worked there for a long time.
Saw a guy blow his had off with a Silver Salute.

7) Gizmo's in Omaha Nebraska - Probably over 100 pinball machines and a
massive building. Located in one of the largest Malls in the Midwest.
_ hercules, Genie, and Spiderman. Alot of Gottliebs

8) Mall on Center street in Omaha had a large arcade also. Forgot name

9) Mall in Downtown district (old Market) in Omaha also have a large
selection of older classics i.e. Fireball , Wizard.

These were the places I hung out all the time and worked in them for
some time. Great time thinking about all of the fun we had. This is
how I got all my old flyers because we pretended to be the buyers so
the companies sent us advertising brochures.

Bill

Krazy Kats, Malibu Grand Prix, and Putt Putt Golf and Games were the main
ones. Used to be a few in the malls also but cant remember the names of
them.

Dave

<rwkeown@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> The recently posted classic arcade pics got me thinking again about my
> favorite place to burn quarters as a kid. It was called Funway
> Freeway. They always had at least 6 pins in excellent shape. The
> techs really must have known what they were doing, as I never recall a
> game being dirty or less then fully functional. Wonder what those
> guys are doing now....
>
> Cheers!!
> Bob

Space Port, but before that it was "Taters" get this: when Gorgar came in, I
wasn't allowed to play it. There was a law on the books that said no one
under 13 could play a pinball machine that talked! that is truly bizarre.

--
Aaron Talley ACO / MCT
WCIA / WCFN Engineering

<rwkeown@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> The recently posted classic arcade pics got me thinking again about my
> favorite place to burn quarters as a kid. It was called Funway
> Freeway. They always had at least 6 pins in excellent shape. The
> techs really must have known what they were doing, as I never recall a
> game being dirty or less then fully functional. Wonder what those
> guys are doing now....
>
> Cheers!!
> Bob

Galaxy in NE Philly.

Dan

rwkeown@yahoo.com wrote:
> The recently posted classic arcade pics got me thinking again about my
> favorite place to burn quarters as a kid. It was called Funway
> Freeway. They always had at least 6 pins in excellent shape. The
> techs really must have known what they were doing, as I never recall a
> game being dirty or less then fully functional. Wonder what those
> guys are doing now....
>
> Cheers!!
> Bob

In South Jersey...

The Old Mill arcade in Mullica Hill.
Main Street - Elmer
Space Port - Cumberland Mall & Deptford Mall
Centerton Lake Park Snack Bar

Ocean City and Wildwood Boardwalk. Ocean City still has some. Wildwood
is now 99% redemption (blech!)

Countless bowling alleys, skating rinks and supermarket/convenience
stores.

In Chicago we had FunZone, located within a mile of Williams, Bally,
Chi Coin, and Midway. It just closed about two months ago. There is
also Dennis' Place for Games, still around but no pins last time I went
by.

I also remember Mother's Pinball in Mt. Prospect, a suburb.

Pat Shanahan
Chicago

I'm older than arcades and malls. I played at Tempe Bowl, A&W on Apache
Blvd., and PDQ across from Tempe High in Tempe, AZ. A couple others I
can't recall.

bogart
www.pinrestore.com

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:28:41 GMT, bogart <pinrestore@gmail.com> wrote:

>I'm older than arcades and malls. I played at Tempe Bowl, A&W on Apache
>Blvd., and PDQ across from Tempe High in Tempe, AZ. A couple others I
>can't recall.

Hey, I've played all those spots! I also played at an arcade next to
Jerry's Audio Exchange on University across from ASU. Dang, can't
remember the name of that place if I ever knew it. Air hockey was big
there.

Bruce

Orleans, MA - Games People Play & Time Warp

Eastham, MA - Idle Times

Hyannis, MA - School's Out!

-Bruce

<rwkeown@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> The recently posted classic arcade pics got me thinking again about my
> favorite place to burn quarters as a kid. It was called Funway
> Freeway. They always had at least 6 pins in excellent shape. The
> techs really must have known what they were doing, as I never recall a
> game being dirty or less then fully functional. Wonder what those
> guys are doing now....
>
> Cheers!!
> Bob

digger