What were your favorite arcade games you liked playing ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

"Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "BC" <animusainthere@ihug.co.nzorami> wrote in message
>>
>> "Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
>> > "BC" <animusainthere@ihug.co.nzorami> wrote in message

>> > I think it was just Superman. It was kind of lame, IIRC, but for some
>> > reason it was addictive.
>> >
>> > Is this it?
>> > http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=&game_id=9977
>>
>> Not a 100% sure - I seem to recall a much better looking game... but the
>> description seems to be the same, so it's probably just my memory playing
>> tricks on me. Ahhhh to be a kid again - maybe it's time I return to the
>> arcades...
>

> Good luck finding one.
> Arcades no longer exist in my area or any place I travel.

Here in columbus we have 2 several thouseand square feet arcades, Dave and
Busters and also Gameworks

"massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message

>>>Not a 100% sure - I seem to recall a much better looking game... but the
>>>description seems to be the same, so it's probably just my memory playing
>>>tricks on me. Ahhhh to be a kid again - maybe it's time I return to the
>>>arcades...

>> Good luck finding one.
>> Arcades no longer exist in my area or any place I travel.

> We have 2 left here, one is part of a pizza/laser tag place. The other is
> with a minature golf course and go-cart track. None left in the malls or
> anything like it used to be though...not even sure how many games even
> have arcade versions anymore since it has been so long since I really
> stopped in one. After they left the malls here that was about it for me,
> and only then as it was just in the proximity and to see what was new.
> With the consoles getting so much better over the years it made less and
> less sense to waste money at the arcades, for what you could spend in
> there on a visit you could buy a cheap game for home.

Blame that on the industry not listening to Bill Gates. MS tried their
darndest to save the industry before the industry even knew it was doomed.

Nick Vargish <nav+posts@bandersnatch.org> wrote:
> "SDP81" <@wowway.com> writes:

> > Here in columbus we have 2 several thouseand square feet arcades, Dave and
> > Busters and also Gameworks

> We have a D&B in Rockville, MD. The selection can be summed up thusly:
> Drive or Shoot. *yawn* As far as I can tell, innovation in arcade
> games is dead. Hopefully, console gaming will not go this way.■

That sums up the D&B by me as well, for the most part.

There's a place not too far from me called 'Nickel City' which is as close
to a good old fashioned arcade as you'll find. You pay an entrance fee of
$3, and then get nickels because the games take 1-5 nickels, not quarters or
tokens. However, that's only for the newer games. The older games are
free. The only downside is - as you can imagine - that the place is
usually swarming with little kids (I'm talking 3-5 years old here!) I
swear this one mother just dropped off her 2 year old(!) with a baggie of
animal crackers, and a juice box, while she went to the bar nearby.

Then there's a putt-putt place nearby that supposedly has a good selection
of the newest machines. It's the only place where folks go for the games
instead of putt-putt. The other putt-putt places I've seen in the area had
really old or lame games.

Then there's the Board Walk, which sports a sizable arcade area, but most
of the games are either old, gun-games, or DDRs.

"Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
> Steeeeam <steaaam@steeeeam.cam> wrote:
>
>> SideArmz
>
>> Anyone else remember that?
>
> Was that the 2D shooter where you could use one of two different 'mechs'
> that could transform? My friend loved that game, but I could never find a
> machine to try it.

Yup - that's the one...What a fantastic game it was too! There are some
emulations kicking around if you look hard enough

Time Pilot. Phoenix. Scramble. Ladybug. Venture. Turbo. Bosconian.
Berserk.

"Bozo" <bozo@sdfhgsefjdgsdhfgahdgsfajsdgfjasghdfjsfg.jsehg> wrote in message
> "Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
>> Steeeeam <steaaam@steeeeam.cam> wrote:
>>
>>> SideArmz
>>
>>> Anyone else remember that?
>>
>> Was that the 2D shooter where you could use one of two different 'mechs'
>> that could transform? My friend loved that game, but I could never find
>> machine to try it.
>
> Yup - that's the one...What a fantastic game it was too! There are some
> emulations kicking around if you look hard enough

'

Sounds like one of my favorite PS1 games called Einhander or something like
that.

In article <1113475722.307268.71640@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>, lav111@hotmail.com wrote:
> What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
> and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
> (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

Tempest
Super Breakout
Ms. Pac Man
Dig Dug
Crystal Castles

Arcade & home, although Tempest just isn't the same without the Knob.

....Sean.

CheetoDust wrote:
> In article <1113475722.307268.71640@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>, lav111@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>>What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
>>and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
>>(or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.
>

> Tempest
> Super Breakout
> Ms. Pac Man
> Dig Dug
> Crystal Castles
>
> Arcade & home, although Tempest just isn't the same without the Knob.
>
> ...Sean.

I forgot about Dig Dug...add that one to my previous list ;)