Question What will Chrome OS pick, when it is both ethernet and wifi connected?

hw_user

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
My home ethernet is always faster than my home WIFI. My wife's Chromebook is ethernet connected to the router through a switch. Sometimes I have to power down the switch for other work. In order not to interrupt my wife's work, her Chromebook is also WIFI connected to the router. She did not complain when the switch is down. But I cannot tell if she has no complaints because her Chromebook is on WIFI all the time or because the Chromebook actually switches over to WIFI when ethernet is down. Of course, the ideal scenario is the Chromebook can make a smart decision to use the faster ethernet all the time and only switch over to WIFI when the switch is down.

Can't say for sure since I have not look at chromeos much. The way windows works and most many linux variants is it will prefer what it thinks it the fastest interface. It assigns a metric to it but this can be manually changed.
Most machine will always prefer a ethernet over wifi. It gets more messy when you have say multiple ethernet or multiple wifi nic for it to choose from.