What will happen when I change my motherboard?

Jul 8, 2018
I am thinking of changing my motherboard due to it being very basic, pcie 2.0 and the pcie slot is stuck in x4 rather than x16. What will happen when I try to boot after going from a H81M to something like a B85M or Z97?

I know I might have to get a new windows license but is there anything else I should be cautious of?

Cheers

Specs:

i7 4790
GTX 1060 6GB
Windows 10 home OEM
16GB DDR3 RAM
Corsair CX650M PSU
Gigabyte H81M S2H mobo
1TB WD HDD
240GB Kingston SSD (For windows)

Solution

Which OS are you running?
If you have a Windows 10 installation you might not have to wipe your programs and files.
Yes, you might have to get a new license depending of the type of Windows version (OEM or Retail).
Just in case, download the latest drivers for you new motherboard.
When you are ready to switch motherboards go to the Device Manager and uninstall all hardware related to the old motherboard...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Just connecting the drive & running the setup? It may just "work", but after Windows configures itself for the new hardware, you may well have a bunch of driver conflicts going on. That could lead to performance loss, or even crashes.

I would suggest a clean OS install if you go that route.

As for the license, provided you tie your existing OS license to a MS account (assuming it's W10), then you might be able to reactivate:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

BUT, an H81 should still have a PCIe 2.0 x16 slot, which is equivalent in speed to a 3.0 x8 slot -- more than adequate for a single GPU setup.

We need to know all your current specs before making any recommendations.

However, I'd assume due to the age of your system. Any newer mobo wont be compatible with your current memory or cpu. You would most likely need to replace mobo, memory and cpu and also reinstall Windows.

But cant be for sure unless we get your system specs.

Jul 8, 2018

Hi thanks for replying. Ive added my specs. The Z97 and B85 mobos should be compatible with my other hardware (same 1150 socket, DDR3 etc)

Jul 8, 2018

Thanks. I will probably do a fresh install if I go for it in that case. Will I lose any data?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Your board has a 2.0 x16 slots (so 3.0 x8 speed)

I really don't see the need to upgrade your board here.
It's an older system, where you're not going to net any gains from the upgrade...... and a replacement board is going to cost you ~$50 minimum, I would think.

As-is, that's a very solid system for 2018......

Yes, a clean OS will wipe your primary drive. You will need to backup any data you cannot afford to lose (or don't want to redownload etc) before proceeding ..... IF you go that route. I don't see any reason to, personally.

Which OS are you running?
If you have a Windows 10 installation you might not have to wipe your programs and files.
Yes, you might have to get a new license depending of the type of Windows version (OEM or Retail).
Just in case, download the latest drivers for you new motherboard.
When you are ready to switch motherboards go to the Device Manager and uninstall all hardware related to the old motherboard.
Do the same with any programs connected to the old motherboard hardware.
Power off, unplug power cord and switch motherboards.
If you have more than one disk, connect only the disk with the OS.
Make sure to be connected to the internet to allow Windows to install and download any updates and drivers for the new hardware.
After Windows is done, if any drivers are needed, you can install them from the previous downloaded files.
Windows will try to activate if you have a retail version, otherwise you will have to provide a new license key.

Solution