What will YOU do with Fermi?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

What do you plan to do with your GF100?

• Cook breakfast

Votes: 20 29.4%
  • Keep me warm during Winter

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Stick it to my power company

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Convince the missus that we need A/C

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Play Crysis

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Play Crysis in 3D!!!!

• Open a can of whoopass

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Badabooooooooom!

• Extort money from rich some guy on eBay

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Make an ornament out of it

Votes: 6 8.8%

• Total voters
woote.png

well they are being pretty generous if you ask me

Doubles as a grill :D

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Guys, its a powerful and hot GPU with a tiny fan spinning at absurd rpm's. Ofcourse its going to be loud.

-To make it queiter, you can add higher quality thermal compound so it runs cooler requiring less fan speed.

-If the card isn't ridiculously loaded, there is no need to turn the fan that high.

-Get a good case so the case helps cool it.

-Place a nice big and quiet PCI-Slot fan below the card and another small fan on the rear grill so you can turn down the fan running on the actual card.

-Buy noise canceling headphones lolz

-Or you can buy a professionally modded card that has a different cooler with a larger fan located right onto the heatsink for the GPU so it runs cooler and spins slower.

-Chances are, if you can afford this card, you can also afford accessories with it to make it quieter and better..etc.

:sol: fixed

Just because you have $500 to spend on a card does NOT mean you want to spend more. I'd get a Waterblocked HD5870 for $500, and OC the *** out of it to beat the GTX480 easily. All the while being silent and cool, 8).

Thermal paste does nothing to reduce the heat of the cooler itself. It only facilitates heat transfer between the chip and the cooler. You will still need to dissipate the same 300W, so fan speed will still need to be very high.

leon2006

Distinguished
Can't spend my hard earned $ to product with mediocrity. Spend $500 for a overheated product with little performance gain. Then spend another $500 to dissipate the 300W and reduce the noise.

I'm sure i can find a better use for that $1K and getter performance.

MiamiU

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009

an enthusiast will know how to get the most for their hard earned money, you mean a fanboy wont care about wasting money...

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Well, i don't know, maybe its hot and loud, but if it runs and does well in performance, i'll find a way to tweak or change something to suit myself. I'm getting it or maybe if they get some more 400's cards in the near future, i'll get those. They sound like awesome cards.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
At the launch event they had 2 480's in sli in one computer and while they were both putting out a fair bit of heat, the overall temps in coretemp and gpu-z seemed stable and not really as bad as everyone is saying.

AMW1011

Distinguished
I think people have forgotten how successful the 4870 X2 and the 9800 GX2 were, though they were dual GPU cards but I remember the 8800 GT and 8800 Ultra getting pretty hot too.

It's first gen hardware mate and whilst I'm not going to be buying into it (for my own reasons) I don't have a problem or intend to belittle those that will, I shall however be sitting back and watching to see if any problem patterns start to appear.

Whilst the thermal management may seem impressive at the moment (and it is) only time and some serious gaming sessions will really test it's mettle.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
I agree MM, when mine arrives i'll certainly be giving it a good run!

One can only hope that NV will bring Fermi from strength to strength with chipset revisions etc in the future.

Well if they stick with it and after the time and money invested there is no reason to think otherwise, then as the GPU yields and drivers mature that should bring better performance from some of the later iterations and by the time the 2nd gen Fermi cards are ready, DX11 games may be more popular with the devs and if they are tessellation heavy then Nvidia cards may be the better option by then.