What would be a good CPU upgrade for my PC?

Jlat512

Reputable
Feb 15, 2015
It is an AMD A8 6500 out of a factory Acer desktop with factory mobo. I am wanting to put in a new CPU to get better performance. i realize it will have to be another AMD chip due to having one already. I am going to be putting in a 1050 or 1050ti. What would be the best CPU I could use for under $200CDN?

Solution
My advice is to upgrade the videocard and use the computer like that for a while. Observe performance and make note of your framerate in the games you play. Once you get an idea of what kind of performance you're getting, then you can research what kind of boost, if any, you'd get from a CPU upgrade. Right now you have no clue what just adding a videocard will do for you, much less what upgrading the CPU will do for you.

That is an FM2 processor. So I can't recommend upgrading as it is too old. If you must upagrade, consider something like the a10-7890k would be in your budget and faster than what you have.

My advice is to upgrade the videocard and use the computer like that for a while. Observe performance and make note of your framerate in the games you play. Once you get an idea of what kind of performance you're getting, then you can research what kind of boost, if any, you'd get from a CPU upgrade. Right now you have no clue what just adding a videocard will do for you, much less what upgrading the CPU will do for you.

Solution