What would be a good laptop for data science?

mx2

Jul 26, 2020
I am entering a data science grad school program and am looking for advice on what would be a good laptop. Please see my answers to the form below.

1. What is your budget?
~$1200.00. I can go slightly higher, but would prefer not to.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
~15.6"

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1920 x 1080 or better

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
I would prefer a portable laptop

5. How much battery life do you need?
At least 6 hours, preferably better.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I will not be playing games with the laptop.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
I will be using it for data science which will include making database connections, querying large data sets, running regressions and models, and using visualization tools such as Tableau or PowerBI.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
At least 512GB

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
I do not have any specific sites I am considering

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3-5 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
N/A

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I would prefer a Windows Computer over a Mac. I have no particular reason for this other than that I have always used PC for work and am more accustomed to it in my professional life. Outside of that, I do not have any particular brand preferences.

13. What country do you live in?
USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I am buying the laptop for grad school and will be doing a large amount of multitasking (studying, running queries, etc...).