Question What would cause no HDMI Signal?

TipsyMcStagger

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
I wasn't really sure where to post this so I apologize if this is the wrong place;

I have a simple build with an Asus Prime B450M-A motherboard. I'm using the on-board graphics. I have a ViewSonic VX3276-MHD 32 Inch monitor, which has two HDMI inputs.

I had the video connected via HDMI from the MB to HDMI input 1. It worked fine like this for several months. Then, one day, it randomly said "no signal." I moved the HDMI cable to HDMI port 2 on the monitor and all functions properly.

I assumed maybe HDMI port 1 on the monitor got fried from a thunderstorm or something. But when I connect another input to HDMI port 1 (my security system NVR) , the monitor works properly.

I tried using a different HDMI cable from the MB to HDMI port 1, but no dice. It will only sense a signal when connected to HDMI port 2.

Any idea what could cause such a thing?

Thanks.

Last edited:

TipsyMcStagger

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
When switching HDMI ports, are both the PC and display powered down?
I have tried that. No difference. HDMI port 1 on the monitor shows "no signal" and HDMI port 2 works just fine.

Again, the strange thing is that HDMI port 1 used to work perfectly when connected to this computer. Then one day, it simply stopped working ("no signal"). But I have verified that HDMI port 1 works when connected to something other than the computer.

TipsyMcStagger

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
Does swapping the order of the connections on the GPU side "move" the problem?
I'm traveling for the next week, so I'm not able to do any troubleshooting until I return but to be sure I understand your question, are you suggesting I connect the HDMI cable to the unresponsive port on the monitor (Port 1) and then disconnect the other end at the MB and then reconnect?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I'm traveling for the next week, so I'm not able to do any troubleshooting until I return but to be sure I understand your question, are you suggesting I connect the HDMI cable to the unresponsive port on the monitor (Port 1) and then disconnect the other end at the MB and then reconnect?
I am suggesting to change the connection order on your GPU (swap cables into different ports) to see if the problem "moves".

TipsyMcStagger

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
I am suggesting to change the connection order on your GPU (swap cables into different ports) to see if the problem "moves".
I'm back from traveling and I'm a little embarrassed to admit I don't follow your suggestion. The computer only has a single HDMI port for video. I'm using the MB's on-board graphics. There is no graphics card plugged into the MB.