Discussion What would happen if GPUs had hardware upscalers like TVs? Let's assume that it is possible from both a size and cost standpoint.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
What would happen if GPUs had hardware upscalers like TVs? Let's assume that it is possible from both a size and cost standpoint. How would this change the current landscape of unoptimized/badly performing games?

USAFRet

Titan
What would happen if GPUs had hardware upscalers like TVs? Let's assume that it is possible from both a size and cost standpoint. How would this change the current landscape of unoptimized/badly performing games?
Games being "unoptimized" is not simply a matter of scaling or lack of upscaling.

If you take a crappy 2k picture and upscale it to 4k, it is simply a crappy 4k picture.

And "cost" is always a factor.

Reactions: Order 66

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
Games being "unoptimized" is not simply a matter of scaling or lack of upscaling.

If you take a crappy 2k picture and upscale it to 4k, it is simply a crappy 4k picture.

And "cost" is always a factor.
True, however TVs make sometimes crappy picture look decent. It’s the only way something like the Wii can look even remotely okay on a 55 inch 4k tv. @Avro Arrow mentioned that for his gaming setup he uses a 55 inch 4k tv for his monitor and he tried using 1440p and he could barely tell the difference unless he was super close to the tv.

USAFRet

Titan
True, however TVs make sometimes crappy picture look decent. It’s the only way something like the Wii can look even remotely okay on a 55 inch 4k tv. @Avro Arrow mentioned that for his gaming setup he uses a 55 inch 4k tv for his monitor and he tried using 1440p and he could barely tell the difference unless he was super close to the tv.
What comes out of a Wii is not simply upscaled.

The game and graphics were coded to work with that hardware specifically.

PC games have to be far more generalized, due to the LARGE hardware differences.

Reactions: Order 66

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
What comes out of a Wii is not simply upscaled.

The game and graphics were coded to work with that hardware specifically.

PC games have to be far more generalized, due to the LARGE hardware differences.
I think you misunderstand (or maybe I am misunderstanding your post), What I meant by the Wii being upscaled is since the Wii has an output resolution of 480p (I could be wrong) a 55 inch 4k tv would have to upscale it to make it even remotely close to being able to be seen without an extreme amount of blurriness, but yes PC games do have to be far more generalized, but would still benefit from hardware upscaling.