[SOLVED] What would happen if i did this?

SawmMawia

Great
Jan 17, 2021
Lets say i downloaded csgo from steam,and after playing w
it for a month,i am bored,now instead of uninstalling it,i delete the file itself,the game must have created files on the c drive
is there a way to clean those files?

Solution
it for a month,i am bored,now instead of uninstalling it,i delete the file itself,the game must have created files on the c drive
You would have a lot of leftovers in files, registry and whole Steam library.
Besides, that would be much more work than properly uninstalling the game. Best to use an uninstaller program like Revo or IoBit uninstaller that would also clean up all residues that can come back and haunt you afterwards.
That goes for all games and programs.
Besides, that would be much more work than properly uninstalling the game. Best to use an uninstaller program like Revo or IoBit uninstaller that would also clean up all residues that can come back and haunt you afterwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Why_Me
Solution

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
Steam -might- also try to redownload & reinstall the game the next time you restart. I think I've seen something like this happen, but my memory is hazy on the matter.

It's advisable to uninstall Steam games from within Steam client, in any case.

Besides, that would be much more work than properly uninstalling the game. Best to use an uninstaller program like Revo or IoBit uninstaller that would also clean up all residues that cane come back and haunt you afterwards.
I'm genuinely curious - Does that still really matter, except for tidiness, for the typical video game, for any reasonably modern setup? I knew they somewhat did when the norm was 20-40GB of HDD and 128-256MB of SDR, or for productivity and utility programs that would otherwise have left a lot of dangling file associations and menu options.

Also having trouble seeing how the residues from a game uninstall could come back to haunt, except for maybe old settings, old profiles, and old saves, when and if said game is reinstalled someday.

I concede that they can and do add up eventually.

Most standard uninstallers these days would also do an acceptable job, in my experience - But I don't touch anything known to be dodgy or clingy.

Irisena

Commendable
Oct 1, 2019
Not that it matters. Even if there's any leftovers, it's not big enough to affect anything, probably a few megabytes worth of data isn't anything to worry about.

And lets say you have a serious case of ocd and need to remove that, just run an integrity check via steam, let it redownload the whole game again, and properly uninstall it through steam.