Question What would make my wifi request you to sign in, but only at night?

Sep 12, 2023
Only recently has my wifi been acting strange..
Around 10pm-3am it would stop working and I would see as shown in image #1..
After a minute or so I'd be given the option to sign in, which has never happened before.. it's my homes private network.

After following the sign-in process, this alert would come up.. which is troublesome..
I'm worried this is an attempt to steal my information, as I live in a large apartment complex.. but I'm not sure..
Again this has only been happening recently after 3 years of living here..

Edit: I don't see the photo I linked when posting this comment, so I'll provide the url.. "https://imgtr.ee/image/2BxBg"

e1d925fd4013f31dfc554db160ae9e5e.jpeg

That is very strange. The message on google is generally related to certificates. It is the HTTPS encryption it is talking about. It doesn't really care about the encryption between you and the router that is only a tiny part of the path the data takes in the internet. The wifi encryption is more to keep people off your local network.

It might just be a coincidence. Many of these issues are related to the time/date but on a phone it gets that from the cell company.

It is very unlikely but this is what it would look like if someone was attempting to do a man in the middle attack. They would try to trick you into logging into a router with the same name as your network.

The quick and dirty test would be to turn off your router when you are having this issue. Your internet should go down and you should not see your network name. You can also just change the SSID and password. Make sure you turn off WPS

Reactions: soulxfyre