[SOLVED] what would the installation process of google sketch up copy the whole of My documents folder and stick it in the program folder of google sketchup?

spikeysonic

Prominent
Jul 23, 2018
Ok saw this and was wondering what da heck.

Was looking to install Google sketchup finding first the 2018, then 2019 and finally 2020 version, having installed the first 2 thought it a good idea to uninstall them before doing it right with 2020.

Went through the uninstall process for 2018 and 2019, had a look for left overs in program files, found the 2018 version, opened the folder and instide instead of a few leftovers was the 'My documents' folder.

Im think what the hell, opened this and there was a copy of my whole my documents folder. Had a look where it was supposed to be... still there.

So went to delete the new copy as like hundreds if gigbytes.

Anyone know why this happened? If this some wierd malware or virus activity?

If it the first stage of some form of Ransomware attack and its copyign a version of my files before it encripts the main drive is it some attempt at data stealing, why would an install routine copy th emy documents folder?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
I would not expect that the application would do such things.

Barring perhaps some serious coding error or confusing path options being presented to the end user.

For the most part my experience with similar incidents have been simple copy and paste errors.

Or dragging and dropping where something "extra" (such as an adjacent folder) comes along for the ride.

Could also be some backup pointing to the incorrect target destination. Check full path names if and as applicable.

Ensure that all important data is backed up, verified recoverable, and readable.

Then clean up the misplaced folders and files. Go slowly and methodically to avoid mistakes.

After that simply keep an eye on things to watch for a repeat performance...

Ralston18

Titan
I would not expect that the application would do such things.

Barring perhaps some serious coding error or confusing path options being presented to the end user.

For the most part my experience with similar incidents have been simple copy and paste errors.

Or dragging and dropping where something "extra" (such as an adjacent folder) comes along for the ride.

Could also be some backup pointing to the incorrect target destination. Check full path names if and as applicable.

Ensure that all important data is backed up, verified recoverable, and readable.

Then clean up the misplaced folders and files. Go slowly and methodically to avoid mistakes.

After that simply keep an eye on things to watch for a repeat performance.

Remain aware of what is running on your computer and if anything asks for or requests a path name for locating folders/files pay close attention to the full path.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS