What would you pay? Dell PowerEdge R900

Deal-or-die

Reputable
Mar 15, 2015
Looking at purchasing a Dell PowerEdge R900 and just checking what they're going for these days.

4x Intel Xeon E7330 (2.40 GHz)
32gb ram @ 667 MHz
2TB HDD

No caddy's but I've got my own

Solution
According to this post. That thing consumes 780 watts at idle. If you are planning to use this as a 24/7 server. It'll cost $680 a year to just sit there at idle if your power is only $0.10 per kilowatt. As stated those sell for about $300.
https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/4414xx/poweredge_r900_power_consumption/?st=jgfyvfrv&sh=9e1ffd52

A single Ryzen 5 1600 at factory settings should have close to the same multi-threaded performance as those four E7330. With a lot less energy usage and up to date connectors. It'll have paid for itself in its first year.

If you also need lots of RAM. You can get dual CPU Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge Xeon servers in that price range with 64GB RAM. They should be a little faster, a lot more...
I see some on ebay down to $200-300. I still wouldn't pay that much. What are you going to use it for? If you need high multithreaded performance for as cheap as possible, I wouldn't go less than dual westmere 6 core cpus. I see some around the same price $300 but they are towers not racks.

According to this post. That thing consumes 780 watts at idle. If you are planning to use this as a 24/7 server. It'll cost $680 a year to just sit there at idle if your power is only $0.10 per kilowatt. As stated those sell for about $300.
https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/4414xx/poweredge_r900_power_consumption/?st=jgfyvfrv&sh=9e1ffd52

A single Ryzen 5 1600 at factory settings should have close to the same multi-threaded performance as those four E7330. With a lot less energy usage and up to date connectors. It'll have paid for itself in its first year.

If you also need lots of RAM. You can get dual CPU Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge Xeon servers in that price range with 64GB RAM. They should be a little faster, a lot more energy efficient and have more recent connections.

Solution

Deal-or-die

Reputable
Mar 15, 2015
Cheers, there was just one advertised in my area for $200aud and wanted It just as a home setup running 24x7 for a game server and DMS but after reading a bit more into it it sounds like the R900s are bloody expensive to run especially considering we're paying $0.24kw in Australia, or at least where I live.

I think I'll stay clear of this one.

Cheers for the replys!

TRENDING THREADS