[SOLVED] What you guys think of my build?

Nov 10, 2019
Hey everyone, just wanted some opinions and suggestions for a new build I am planning. Any input is appreciated! I am currently running an i7 3930k and a gtx 770 (4gb) on a custom water loop that I built years ago at this point. Definitely time for an upgrade.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/82hPtg

I am not completely decided on PSU, RAM, or a case yet. I don't need storage in the build, I will be moving over the PCIE SSD from my old build. The 3900x in the build is place holder and will be changed to a 3950x upon release. I remember pcpartpicker having a custom option to add your own entries but I can't seem to find it anymore.

My main trouble for now is picking a case. I thought of the define r6 but airflow seems a little too hindered for me. I currently have a corsair 900d but a lot of corsairs newer cases don't look appealing to me. I am looking for something with a very basic, minimal look to it. No RGB or anything like that. I prefer no tempered glass side panel as well as I am not color matching parts. I am after performance alone.

Thanks so much for any input!!!

Nov 10, 2019
What PSU do you have
My current build has an EVGA Supernova G2 1000W. I have not decided which PSU, RAM, or case to go with yet. Suggestions for PSU, and RAM are appreciated but I already have a pretty good idea of what I want to go with. I primarily need help choosing a case. I am not up to date on the new cases from all the manufacturers and upon looking around I really don't know what direction to go in. I love the design of the define r6 from fractal design but the hindered airflow is a little too impactful of temperatures for me to want to go with it. I have a corsair 900d at the moment. If there was a case like that but smaller maybe a full tower and with updated I/O such as USB C that would probably be an easy choice. Overall just looking for something very minimal with no RGB or any flashy lights. Preferably no tempered glass window either. Thanks so much!

Yes That PSU is good as well. RAM I recommend getting G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4 x 8GB 3200Mhz+ kit if you can spend.

You have 900D the best case in quality and functionality. I do agree that USB-C is missing which can be remedied. Buy the 750D upgrade kit, unscrew the USB-C port from it and swap it in with the USB-2 Port of 900D.
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...3-1-Type-C-I-O-Panel-Upgrade-Kit/p/CC-8900138

Nov 10, 2019
Yes That PSU is good as well. RAM I recommend getting G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4 x 8GB 3200Mhz+ kit if you can spend.

You have 900D the best case in quality and functionality. I do agree that USB-C is missing which can be remedied. Buy the 750D upgrade kit, unscrew the USB-C port from it and swap it in with the USB-2 Port of 900D.
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/Obsidian-Series-750D-USB-3-1-Type-C-I-O-Panel-Upgrade-Kit/p/CC-8900138
That is the RAM I was planning on getting haha. Just to be clear I am not modifying the existing build in the 900D in any way. It is keeping it's PSU (the EVGA one) as well as any I/O. I plan to sell the 900D as is. This is a completely new build.
I had absolutely no idea that there was an upgrade kit available for the 750D. Thanks so much for linking me!!!

That is the RAM I was planning on getting haha. Just to be clear I am not modifying the existing build in the 900D in any way. It is keeping it's PSU (the EVGA one) as well as any I/O. I plan to sell the 900D as is. This is a completely new build.
I had absolutely no idea that there was an upgrade kit available for the 750D. Thanks so much for linking me!!!
Unless you are selling the whole PC as a working unit. It is not a good decision to sell that PSU and Case and spend on new ones as they have lot of life in them and are of very high quality. Just give it a thought.
In any case decision is yours.

Nov 10, 2019
What is your total budget for the new build
$2500 tax included.
Unless you are selling the whole PC as a working unit. It is not a good decision to sell that PSU and Case and spend on new ones as they have lot of life in them and are of very high quality. Just give it a thought.
In any case decision is yours.
I am selling it as a whole working unit. I have modified the case extensively for my custom water loop I put together years ago. Without the water cooling the case would have visible drilled holes etc and I don't plan to water cool the new rig.
With today's trend for glass and bling(not my thing either) in cases you have to look a bit harder.
I found this Antec P101 silent that might fit your requirements:
https://www.antec.com/product/case/p101-silent.php
Looks like a nice case I'll check it out :)
Ya, I have noticed how difficult it could be to find a minimal case these days haha.

Here is the list:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($198.32 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($62.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Black Video Card ($1156.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Custom: AMD Ryzen R9 3950X 16C/32T ($750.00)
Total: $2558.15
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-11 04:18 EST-0500

All high quality components.
Best performance.
Very Silent.
Fits around that budget.

Reactions: helper800
Solution
This is what I would do.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC LIQUID FREEZER II 360 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($106.77 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($177.36 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($139.73 @ Newegg)
Storage: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($139.73 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB XC HYBRID GAMING Video Card ($806.23 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec P101 Silent ATX Mid Tower Case ($128.22 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.73 @ B&H)
Custom: 3950x ($750.00)
Custom: 3950x tax ($50.00)
Total: $2437.77
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-11 04:44 EST-0500

This is similar to @King Dranzer's build but cheaper and accounts for a more realistic tax cost. My build also differs in that it is significantly cooler running, quieter, a more efficient and in my opinion better branded PSU, includes the previously mentioned Antec case, double the RAM, and double the SSD capacity that also has significantly higher endurance and speeds. This is all at the cost of the 2080 ti step down to a 2080 super and built-in wifi to the mobo.