Question What z690 for i7-12700k?

martin323

Prominent
Apr 30, 2022
Hi, i hope i am writing in the right thread.

I am choosing a z690 MB for my i7-12700k, what would you please recommend?

I would like to overclock a bit (nothing extreme, mainly CPU/a little bit of RAM), mainly for gaming purposes.

I dont care about RGB or Wi-Fi or Bluetooth.

I have:
rtx2080
650W PSU
DDR4 3600 cl16 RAM.

I went through a lot of reviews and i am thinking about:
ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4 (seems pretty expensive for me, i dont know if it is worth the price)
ASUS TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 or MSI MAG Z690 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 or MSI MPG Z690 EDGE WIFI DDR4 (similar motherboards in terms of overclocking from what i understood, i am probably wrong)
GIGABYTE Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 or GIGABYTE Z690 AORUS ELITE AX (similar to MBs above in terms of overclocking?)
MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 (the "entrly level" motherboard, not too good for overclocking?)

Can i please ask you, what motherboard would you recommend for me? It does not have to be mentioned above, if you have any tips i will appreciate it a lot!

Thank you!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

650W PSU
650W is the advertised wattage of the unit. What is the make and model of said unit and it's age? As for your motherboard, any of the above listed would do your build justice. Might want to slap the price tags of each of the boards with relation to the budget you've allocated in your mind for the build.

martin323

Prominent
Apr 30, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

650W PSU
650W is the advertised wattage of the unit. What is the make and model of said unit and it's age? As for your motherboard, any of the above listed would do your build justice. Might want to slap the price tags of each of the boards with relation to the budget you've allocated in your mind for the build.
Hi,
my PSU is Corsair RM650x.

I have decided for MSI MAG Z690 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 in the end (this sheet helped me a lot: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet..._QYOrvLk4EfI4Kn2jmIG70CAss/edit#gid=666643422).

Do you think i could get anything better? I did not go with Gigabyte, because a lot of ppl said, that their LGA 1700 MBs have some problem with overclocking (even with only XMP) RAM and their support is really bad.