what's a boot disk????????????

ali3596

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2006
i just built my own computer, and i must say I'm a noob.... i installed the processor on the mobo, hooked up my 7800GT, 1gB RAM, previous 120GB hard drive....

THE PROBLEM IS when i turn on my computer it gives me a black screen with the error " failure to boot disk, insert system disk then press ENTER" I am guessing it's something with my hard drive.....

here's the thing tho.....

if i restart my computer, it will work fine.

if i go into the BIOS, then exit, it will work fine.

The only time it gives me the error is if i turn off my computer, then turn it back on.......I think it's something from the BIOS and it's something easy i forgot to do or i fucked up changing something.......

sithscout80

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
I think the boot order in your BIOS is not correct. I'm not sure why it sometimes boots and other times doesn't.

I would recommend going into the BIOS and go to Boot Device Order and put the CD Drive first, then the Hard Drive. Then make sure there aren't any CDs in the CD Drive.

Sagekilla

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
i just built my own computer, and i must say I'm a noob.... i installed the processor on the mobo, hooked up my 7800GT, 1gB RAM, previous 120GB hard drive....

Did you reformat your 120GB drive and reinstall windows? Simply moving a hard drive from an old build to a new build will not work, there are certain drivers specific to every motherboard that won't exist if you move that mobo from one machine to another.