[SOLVED] What's a good cooler for i9-10850k?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawnlau

Prominent
Feb 23, 2021
I just built a system with the i9-10850k and used a Cooler Master Hyper 212 as the cooler. I noticed today during CPU renders, the CPU was hitting 91 C. That's too hot. I turned off Intel Turbo Boost in the BIOS and now during those same CPU renders, I'm seeing about 57 C. It idles around 29 C, so I'm pretty sure the cooler is set right. Should I ditch the Hyper 212 for something else or try to add another fan to it? It came with one fan but there is room for another.

Solution
@shawnlau
Take a look at this:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOCrcOfTsLg

It shows 10900K thermals at stock, power limits removed, and Multi Core Enhancement. No overclock tests present.
10850K is just a lower binned 10900K with -100mhz across the board.

You might not plan on overclocking, but should you get the 'urge' to want to try and get a little more performance out the chip, you'll then be looking at removing power limits or running MCE.
As of the last update to Computronix's Intel Temperature guide: (great guide, give a read!)
Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended. Core temperatures below 80°C are ideal.
In...
The cooler you have is good at idle on that CPU but in rendering it's just not enough.

Any good air cooler would do a better job. Like Noctua or Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4 or a good AIO.

Hyper 212 EVO is a good entry air cooler for a CPU that isn't too hot. I would not put a Hyper 212 on a Ryzen 5800X+ or the latest Intel CPU.

Reactions: shawnlau

shawnlau

Prominent
Feb 23, 2021
The cooler you have is good at idle on that CPU but in rendering it's just not enough.

Any good air cooler would do a better job. Like Noctua or Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4 or a good AIO.

Hyper 212 EVO is a good entry air cooler for a CPU that isn't too hot. I would not put a Hyper 212 on a Ryzen 5800X+ or the latest Intel CPU.
I'll look into those. Thanks.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
If you are going to be playing with overclocking, boost and voltages, you'll need something like a Noctua NH-D15 or a 280mm or 360mm AIO.

This is the same CPU I use to test coolers for Tom's Hardware and if you overclock it on all cores, it gets incredibly hot - it requires the best cooling you can get.

Otherwise, if you are going to leave at stock settings and allow it to self-manage, you might still want something bigger than the Hyper 212, or at the very least, run 2 fans front and back in push+pull to make the most of it.

x3nzox

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2013
If you are going to be playing with overclocking, boost and voltages, you'll need something like a Noctua NH-D15 or a 280mm or 360mm AIO.

This is the same CPU I use to test coolers for Tom's Hardware and if you overclock it on all cores, it gets incredibly hot - it requires the best cooling you can get.

Otherwise, if you are going to leave at stock settings and allow it to self-manage, you might still want something bigger than the Hyper 212, or at the very least, run 2 fans front and back in push+pull to make the most of it.
I read for the higher overclocks, the Noctua NH-D15 doesn't cut it. Can any1 verify

shawnlau

Prominent
Feb 23, 2021

I don't plan on over clocking. Does turning on Intel's Turbo Boost count as over clocking? I know it makes the CPU run hot, but with it off and using the Hyper 212 in stays about 57-59 C during CPU 3D renders. That seems like a very safe temp from what I've read about the CPU. But I'm think in the future there might be a reason I want to turn on the Turbo boost. Would something like this work for using the Turbo Boost? I'm also concerned about ease of installationn ( I'm 62, my eyes and fingers are that good anymore-I had fits with those fan clips on the Hyper 212) https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsai...llix-cpu-cooler-black/6422732.p?skuId=6422732. Also, that should fit up top in the Corsair 4000D air flow?

D

Deleted member 2838871

I don't plan on over clocking. I'm also concerned about ease of installationn

I'd still recommend an AIO... be it 280mm or 360mm. I went with the 360mm for my 10900k and I am overclocking. As you've already seen... these chips get pretty warm.

Installation is a breeze assuming you know how to rotate a screwdriver which is pretty much all it takes for both the radiator and the cold plate.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@shawnlau
Take a look at this:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOCrcOfTsLg

It shows 10900K thermals at stock, power limits removed, and Multi Core Enhancement. No overclock tests present.
10850K is just a lower binned 10900K with -100mhz across the board.

You might not plan on overclocking, but should you get the 'urge' to want to try and get a little more performance out the chip, you'll then be looking at removing power limits or running MCE.
As of the last update to Computronix's Intel Temperature guide: (great guide, give a read!)
Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended. Core temperatures below 80°C are ideal.
In that video, a NH-D15 and a 280mm hybrid are shown to handle it well at stock. Power limits removed? No way.

Solution

shawnlau

Prominent
Feb 23, 2021
Interesting. I like that he showed the cuts on his fingers from installing the fan on the Hyper 212. I'm still nursing the cuts on my fingers.

I just have to believe those spikes to 100C, even short lived, has to shorten the life of the CPU. I'm between the NH-D15 and an AIO. From what I've read online, the conventional wisdom is to go with the air cooler over the AIO if it can do the job. The video seems to imply the NH-D15 is easier to install than the Hyper 212, so that makes it even more appealing. Still thinking about it. I do a lot of rendering with Blender so I liked their stress test :)
https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NH-D1...&keywords=Noctua+NH-D15&qid=1614814330&sr=8-3

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I've installed a lot of coolers, I think I've only been cut by one, but maybe I'm lucky.

NH-D15 is easier to install vs a 212, especially the old scissor tension mounts. Noctua put a lot of time into their hardware and the quality of it is first rate compared to most other air coolers. be quiet! is also super high quality stuff...both are just a notch above most others from what I have handled....which is a lot.

I put an NH-D15S (single fan) in my home server recently. I was thinking using the extra Arctic Liquid II 360, but decided for the simple, silent route. Not a single complaint.

(check out my thermal paste article if you need compound :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS