[SOLVED] Whats a good cpu for gaming ?

Nov 29, 2020
I'm not sure what to upgrade to

I'm not really sure about cores and threads and all that when it comes to a gpu I know what I want but I'm struggling with a cpu

I know I'm getting a ryzen but wich one would best ?

I'm in the fence between a ryzen 5

Or the ryzen 7 3700x

If i was to spend 500$ cdn on a cpu wich one 2puld be worth the money so that I dont need to upgrade again for a long time

Games I play is rhe occasional rpg story games

But mostly fps games

Any input ?

Solution
In general, if you intend to keep your CPU for longer, more cores is better. We're in a "core race" right now, where CPUs are available with far more cores than most games can utilize, but since 6c/12t or 8c/16t is now "mainstream", games will eventually evolve with the potential to utilize that extra capability.

Core 2 Quads remained viable longer than Core 2 Duos.
4c/8t i7s remained viable longer than 4c/4c i5s.

Spending more on a CPU/GPU will obviously extend its useful life. Nobody expects a $500 PC to have a similar gaming lifespan as a $2000 one.

All that said, most people have some sort of hard/soft budget limit. It's about balancing performance per your budget. If you want your CPU to last 10 years, but you'll be...
In general, if you intend to keep your CPU for longer, more cores is better. We're in a "core race" right now, where CPUs are available with far more cores than most games can utilize, but since 6c/12t or 8c/16t is now "mainstream", games will eventually evolve with the potential to utilize that extra capability.

Core 2 Quads remained viable longer than Core 2 Duos.
4c/8t i7s remained viable longer than 4c/4c i5s.

Spending more on a CPU/GPU will obviously extend its useful life. Nobody expects a $500 PC to have a similar gaming lifespan as a $2000 one.

All that said, most people have some sort of hard/soft budget limit. It's about balancing performance per your budget. If you want your CPU to last 10 years, but you'll be upgrading your GPU every 3 years, you commit more budget (comparably) to the CPU. Likewise, in your example, if a Ryzen 7 drains your budget to the point where you can only afford a GTX1650/RX5500XT, then you probably spent too much on the CPU if the system is primarily used for gaming. This is also why there's never a black-and-white answer to a build list. Everyone will come back with something slightly different.

Solution
Nov 29, 2020
So the ryzen 5 5600x is also a good option?

As I said I play ALOT of fps

And occasionally some sandbox open world games as well

Mostly fps

I'm looking for a ryzen cpu that will help me get the most fps in shooters as I can without buying the 1000$ ryzen 9s

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador