Question Whats a good mesh router sold on amazon brazil?

Aug 10, 2023
Hey guys, im leo from Brazil, i live in a apartment with my parents that is very wide and narrow and it has a second floor(smaller), so just puting the router in the center of the house is not enough and honestly i never liked acess points,
im late to the party but i never heard about mesh router before, so i was looking and studying about it and im very positive about it. Here we dont have much acess to wifi-6 unlike the usa or europe.
My actual internet have 300mpbs and 150mps. I use it for gaming and streaming and to watch netflix, prime video, wtc. I have a second floor that the router signal is very weak, i can get it like, 3 mpbs, its incredible.
I really dont have any idea which router to choose, we have brands like tp-link, d-link, intelbras, etc. I can afford a router mesh router under 2000 brazilian reals(BRL)
I think that 2 mesh router up and 3 down, can be enough for the whole house, or maybe less, if mesh is incredible like people say.
So can you recomend me some routers?

honestly i never liked acess points
Sorry to disappoint you, but a MESH satellite is nothing more than an access point where the backhaul connection to the main router is via a separate radio rather than an ethernet cable.

Given that in an apartment the major issue is actual radio traffic from many other simultaneous users, replacing one wire with yet another radio is likely to reduce performance vs. an access point.

Best to run a single wire upstairs to a single access point up there.

Reactions: leonardotf
Backhaul mostly means the radio connection between the remote radio back to the main router. It is a term you see with commercial radio installation like cell towers where there is one main cell tower and a number of remote cell towers that are connected to the main tower with a point to point microwave connection. Wifi mesh/repeaters kinda work similar but not as efficiently.

If you have a ethernet cable between the floors that is your best option. What you then do is use a Access Point to provide the wifi radio at the far end. You do not need a actual access point it tends to be cheaper to use a simple router. Most routers can be set to AP mode. They are in effect wifi radios that connect to the main router via a ethernet cable.

Using a ethernet cable with remote AP is the method large business use, you almost never see silly mesh/repeater systems in use in large companies.

In any case you never want to use any form of "mesh" or wifi repeater system unless you have no other options. Only wifi marketing people and idiot youtubers who are paid say mesh is "incredible". People with technical knowledge know that mesh systems provide a function when there is no other solution. This is where a crappy mesh signal is better than no signal at all.

Aug 10, 2023
Backhaul mostly means the radio connection between the remote radio back to the main router. It is a term you see with commercial radio installation like cell towers where there is one main cell tower and a number of remote cell towers that are connected to the main tower with a point to point microwave connection. Wifi mesh/repeaters kinda work similar but not as efficiently.

If you have a ethernet cable between the floors that is your best option. What you then do is use a Access Point to provide the wifi radio at the far end. You do not need a actual access point it tends to be cheaper to use a simple router. Most routers can be set to AP mode. They are in effect wifi radios that connect to the main router via a ethernet cable.

Using a ethernet cable with remote AP is the method large business use, you almost never see silly mesh/repeater systems in use in large companies.

In any case you never want to use any form of "mesh" or wifi repeater system unless you have no other options. Only wifi marketing people and idiot youtubers who are paid say mesh is "incredible". People with technical knowledge know that mesh systems provide a function when there is no other solution. This is where a crappy mesh signal is better than no signal at all.
so in short you think its way better to buy a router and config to ap mode? All wifi network will have the same name? in mesh routers its like that.

If you put the same SSID and password on both the router and AP then it will be just like that, and devices should be able to roam between them within a couple seconds when switching.

You should first check to see if your present router allows changing to AP mode (which is mostly disabling DHCP server on it) since it's better to use your best and newest router as the gateway router. And with that kind of budget you should be able to get a really nice one, as it's only one rather than five devices.

Aug 10, 2023
If you put the same SSID and password on both the router and AP then it will be just like that, and devices should be able to roam between them within a couple seconds when switching.

You should first check to see if your present router allows changing to AP mode (which is mostly disabling DHCP server on it) since it's better to use your best and newest router as the gateway router. And with that kind of budget you should be able to get a really nice one, as it's only one rather than five devices.

thank you for answering. I have another question, glass windows and drywall blocks the wifi network? up there theres a room with drywall that the signal goes from 280 mpbs to just 20 or 10 mbps. Same with the balcony when i close the windows glass door. In that case a router in acess point or a mesh router with do a poor job amplifying the wifi signal?

wall-attenuation-1024x618.png

Note that's for plain glass, as metalized low-E glass can block wifi signals as much as concrete. If your sliding glass door is made from such reflective glass (which is for keeping heat inside or outside by preventing it from passing through) then that would explain the problem with wifi as it reflects that too.

Also note that the standard stick antennas on a router are dipoles so have a donut-shaped radiation pattern (here the stick is on the z-axis)
norm3D1lam.jpg

So if you wanted to aim the signal upstairs towards that room you would point the long sides of the antennas at it. Try that before resorting to an AP.

Sounds like what happened when they put a energy film on the windows of the building where I worked. Wifi worked way out in the parking lots before but as soon as they had all the windows with film on them you could stand near the build and even see the AP on the ceiling inside and the signal was unusable. You open a door and you get 100% signal.

It take very little to block wifi. If you look at your microwave oven it run on the same 2.4g radio as a wifi router. It puts out 1000 time the power allowed by a router but the amount that is legally allowed to leak out is a tiny fraction of what a router can legally put out. You can easily see in the front glass door but it blocks massive amounts of signal.

Even water vapor in the air can block wifi signal which is why even without walls the signal does not go huge distances.

There really is no solution to wifi absorption other than to somehow get a hole through it, like with a wire.

Reminds me of those Ford Quick Defrost heated windshields from the 1970s (the predecessor of Instaclear). Like a 747 heated windshield or an astronaut's visor, these windshields were noticeably gold tinted because they really were gold metalized, and a 2nd alternator had to be used to push the very high currents through it, to defrost 5x faster.

This was a very expensive option, and people who spent the money soon discovered their fancy radar detectors didn't work behind their windshield, and complained. It didn't take long for Ford to start leaving a small uncoated area for people to place their detectors behind.

Metal films do not absorb RF but reflect them, and a mirror is supposed to reflect ~100% of a wifi signal because the coating is thick enough to. Where it reflects to can produce somewhat unpredictable results, to the extent that wifi nearby may actually be perfectly usable or not based on other reflections after the mirror. After all this is a randomly placed mirror in a messy home environment here, not a stealth fighter.

Aquariums and humans contain so much water that they can absorb RF to the extent that Apple had to tell people they were holding their phone wrong.

TRENDING THREADS