[SOLVED] What's an inexpensive/low power GPU for older desktop?

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
I want to set up a pc for my youngster to play games on; nothing extreme. Have a Dell Studio XPS 8100 purchased new back in 2012, has 350w PSU that I'd like to upgrade the GPU to one better suited for gaming. Thanks!

Solution
If the PSU is as old as the system, I'd advise in swapping it out for an aftermarket 450W PSU and dropping in a GTX750Ti in there though I must tell you we don't know what sort of specs the XPS8100 currently has and what sort of games your youngster wants to play.
Do you really thing that 750 ti will give a decent boost to that pc; would it be enough for say the momma to play GTA5, steam recommends gtx 660, think that'd be better than 750 ti?

Lutfij

Titan
If the PSU is as old as the system, I'd advise in swapping it out for an aftermarket 450W PSU and dropping in a GTX750Ti in there though I must tell you we don't know what sort of specs the XPS8100 currently has and what sort of games your youngster wants to play.

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011

The XPS8100 is all stock: i5, 8hb, HD 6450. Currently games like Mickey's Castle of Illusion, Roblox, usual kid games that'd work as is, but want to make sure it will be able to play games going forward that will require a bit more graphics power.

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Do you really thing that 750 ti will give a decent boost to that pc; would it be enough for say the momma to play GTA5, steam recommends gtx 660, think that'd be better than 750 ti?

Solution
GTX750ti or GT1030 would be considered minimum gaming graphics cards.
They are in the same performance class as a GTX660.
But GTX660 is an older card that draws more power than newer cards; it needs an aux 6 pin connector which your psu will not have.

Your 350w psu will limit your choice to a card that does not need aux 6 pin power.
Probably the strongest such would be a GTX1650

There are some factory overclocked versions that need more power from a 6 pin psu connector, so avoid those.
Here is a handy chart for the power requirements of different graphics cards:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
And here is tom's gpu hierarchy chart which will give you an idea of the relative capabilities of different cards:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html